Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by David Kramer <da...@thekramers.net> on 2004/12/03 15:14:27 UTC

Performance and required hardware

We're moving from PVCS to SVN.  For our feasibility test, we have it on a
lowly P2.  For production, we want to make sure we have something that's
good enough.  We have about 20 developers, all local, and will probably
run Apache on the same box.  Some form of recent Linux x86.

I welcome recommended hardware, but I would also really love to hear hard
examples of what people are using now, and how many developers, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Performance and required hardware

Posted by Nathan Kidd <na...@spicycrypto.ca>.
David Kramer wrote:
> We're moving from PVCS to SVN.  For our feasibility test, we have it on a
> lowly P2.  For production, we want to make sure we have something that's
> good enough.  We have about 20 developers, all local, and will probably
> run Apache on the same box.  Some form of recent Linux x86.
>
> I welcome recommended hardware, but I would also really love to hear hard
> examples of what people are using now, and how many developers, etc.

I've got about 10 active devs on a P3-550, mirrored IDE disks, RedHat9,
svnserve with BDB backend.  I'm planning to upgrade the box, not because
  it can't handle the load -- it's been fine and never had any problem
-- but because I know each individual operation could be faster.  In
some tests I did I found that response time scaled with the CPU/disks
(i.e. network on a local 100Mb lan isn't the bottleneck, at least at the
P3-550 level).

-Nathan

Re: Performance and required hardware

Posted by Tony Butt <tj...@cea.com.au>.
David Kramer wrote:

>We're moving from PVCS to SVN.  For our feasibility test, we have it on a
>lowly P2.  For production, we want to make sure we have something that's
>good enough.  We have about 20 developers, all local, and will probably
>run Apache on the same box.  Some form of recent Linux x86.
>
>I welcome recommended hardware, but I would also really love to hear hard
>examples of what people are using now, and how many developers, etc.
>
>Thanks in advance.

We have the following configuration;
Pentium Xeon 2.8GHz (HP ML150 server)
512MB RAM
SUSE Enterprise Linux 9
Access to subversion via apache, FSFS backend running on Reiser FS,
Ultra SCSI (320Mb/sec) disk.
About 10 developers at the moment, more coming onstream as they leave
legacy projects and version control systems behind.
Anticipate about 20-30 developers eventually.

Out performance is adequate - certainly better than our previous
P3/W2K/apache configuration. We do not expect additional developers to
impact it noticeably. From prior experience, the single biggest thing we
could do to improve performance would be to use svnserve - we ran it for
a while on the P3 system, and it was at least as fast as our current
configuration, probably faster. (No hard numbers, just seat of the pants
feel)
We like tha apache configuration for the authentication/authorisation
capabilities, but we dearly wish it was quicker...

Tony Butt
CEA Technologies

RE: Performance and required hardware

Posted by Mark <ma...@msdhub.com>.
We have 6 developers, we run a p3-733 with, umm, I think 384mb of ram
running Apache and Windows 2k3.

The machine performs acceptably, though not "super-fast-ly", and that might
have something to do with all the other stuff that box does (other Apache
websites, some IIS websites, SQL server, mySQL server, and some stuff I
probably forgot).

Mark