Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by "Kerridge, Jon" <J....@napier.ac.uk> on 2018/05/31 10:44:33 UTC

New release of JCSP - (part of GPars) and groovyJCSP

The JCSP library (Communicating Sequential Processes for Java) is now available from the jcentre repository as follows:

compile 'cspforjava:jcsp:1.1.0'

The associated Github location is https://github.com/CSPforJAVA/jcsp .

There is a set of demonstrations of the library, that use multi-core machines and distributed networks at: https://github.com/CSPforJAVA/jcspDemos .

The JCSP library is part of the original GPars Groovy parallelism infrastructure.

In addition, the groovyJCSP library provides a set of Groovy helper classes, that make the use of the JCSP library much easier by reducing the amount of code that must be written to build parallel systems.

These classes are used extensively in the books

"Using Concurrency and Parallelism Effectively parts i & ii" by Jon Kerridge published by Bookboon, free of charge.

http://bookboon.com/en/using-concurrency-and-parallelism-effectively-i-ebook

http://bookboon.com/en/using-concurrency-and-parallelism-effectively-ii-ebook

The library is available from https://github.com/JonKerridge/groovyJCSP/tree/2.4.12-1.1.0 .  This version was generated using groovy-2.4.12 and jcsp-1.1.0.

The software used in the books is available at https://github.com/JonKerridge/UCaPE

The libraries and related codes are available under the Apache 2.0 Licence.

Contacts j.kerridge@napier.ac.uk<ma...@napier.ac.uk> , p.h.welch@kent.ac.uk<ma...@kent.ac.uk> , k.chalmers@napier.ac.uk<ma...@napier.ac.uk> , mewer@alumni.stanford.edu<ma...@alumni.stanford.edu> and nccb@kentforlife.net<ma...@kentforlife.net> .
Jon

Professor Jon Kerridge PhD FBCS FHEA CITP CEng
School of Computing
Edinburgh Napier University
Merchiston Campus
10 Colinton Road
Edinburgh
EH10 5DT

O1314552777
j.kerridge@napier.ac.uk

This message and its attachment(s) are intended for the addressee(s) only and should not be read, copied, disclosed, forwarded or relied upon by any person other than the intended addressee(s) without the permission of the sender. If you are not the intended addressee you must not take any action based on this message and its attachment(s) nor must you copy or show them to anyone. Please respond to the sender and ensure that this message and its attachment(s) are deleted.

It is your responsibility to ensure that this message and its attachment(s) are scanned for viruses or other defects. Edinburgh Napier University does not accept liability for any loss or damage which may result from this message or its attachment(s), or for errors or omissions arising after it was sent. Email is not a secure medium. Emails entering Edinburgh Napier University's system are subject to routine monitoring and filtering by Edinburgh Napier University.

Edinburgh Napier University is a registered Scottish charity. Registration number SC018373

Re: New release of JCSP - (part of GPars) and groovyJCSP

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.
Jon,

> I have yet to create a version of the library that is compiled for
> anything other than groovy-2.4.12 and jdk8.
> The former because in other work I am doing I cannot use any version
> above groovy2.4.12 due to a bug I found.  JDK 8 because I am lazy and
> waiting for JDK 11 before doing any further recompilations in
> preparation for teaching!!

No problem. JDK10 and JDK11 (I'll try it as well) shouldn't (!) be a
problem for this code. Groovy 2.5, and 3.0 may be. Worth investigating.

> With regard your last point putting it onto Maven Central: I have
> never used that repo, putting it onto jcenter has taken a lot of
> effort because I was getting to grips with gradle and intellij as
> well.  Send me a hint or a web page that tells me how to do it
> please!!

You are already ahead of me. I have failed to publish anything to
JCenter or Maven Central since the demise of Codehaus, despite support
by Schalk Cronjé. I drifted away to D and Rust for some GTK+3/GStreamer
stuff, and haven't found the energy to try and actually publish Gant or
GPars despite the fact that both need it.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200

Re: New release of JCSP - (part of GPars) and groovyJCSP

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.
Jon,

On Thu, 2018-06-14 at 12:06 +0100, Russel Winder wrote:

[…]
> I made the org.jcsp → jcsp change in the imports and all the code seems to
> compile with JDK10. There are some non-CSP problems to fix before I can run
> the tests, but it is looking good.

Forgot to say, with Groovy 2.5.0.

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.
Jon,

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.
Jon,

On Thu, 2018-05-31 at 15:06 +0000, Kerridge, Jon wrote:
> Russel
>
> I have yet to create a version of the library that is compiled for anything
> other than groovy-2.4.12 and jdk8.
> The former because in other work I am doing I cannot use any version above
> groovy2.4.12 due to a bug I found.  JDK 8 because I am lazy and waiting for
> JDK 11 before doing any further recompilations in preparation for teaching!!

I made the org.jcsp → jcsp change in the imports and all the code seems to
compile with JDK10. There are some non-CSP problems to fix before I can run
the tests, but it is looking good.

Is the CSP stuff in GPars ancient compared to what you have now? If it is,
should we contemplate a merge to update everything in GPars?

[…]

Posted by Marcin Zajączkowski <ms...@wp.pl>.
On 2018-05-31 17:06, Kerridge, Jon wrote:
> Russel
>
> I have yet to create a version of the library that is compiled for anything other than groovy-2.4.12 and jdk8.
> The former because in other work I am doing I cannot use any version above groovy2.4.12 due to a bug I found.  JDK 8 because I am lazy and waiting for JDK 11 before doing any further recompilations in preparation for teaching!!
>
> With regard your last point putting it onto Maven Central: I have never used that repo, putting it onto jcenter has taken a lot of effort because I was getting to grips with gradle and intellij as well.  Send me a hint or a web page that tells me how to do it please!!

Jon, if you chose jcenter intently as the primary repository you can
enable jcenter -> Maven Central (aka The Central Repository)
synchronization without much effort:
https://bintray.com/docs/usermanual/uploads/uploads_syncingwiththirdpartyplatforms.html

Just please ensure you have everything what is needed for Maven Central
in your pom:
https://central.sonatype.org/pages/requirements.html

Marcin

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.
Jon,

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.
Jon,

Posted by "Kerridge, Jon" <J....@napier.ac.uk>.
Russel

I have yet to create a version of the library that is compiled for anything other than groovy-2.4.12 and jdk8.
The former because in other work I am doing I cannot use any version above groovy2.4.12 due to a bug I found.  JDK 8 because I am lazy and waiting for JDK 11 before doing any further recompilations in preparation for teaching!!

With regard your last point putting it onto Maven Central: I have never used that repo, putting it onto jcenter has taken a lot of effort because I was getting to grips with gradle and intellij as well.  Send me a hint or a web page that tells me how to do it please!!
Cheers
Jon

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.