Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2023/02/19 11:56:34 UTC

Direction of Gump

Hi all

after Gump's last board report one of the members asked whether we
aren't disturbed by not adding any new committers for many years now
(actually I don't believe anybody who is a not a PMC member already has
posted anything to ths list for years).

And whether Gump really mostly is on life-support for the benefit of
Tomcat. Given that the only person who has done anything for a long time
has been Mark and he has done so for the benefit of Tomcat, this may be
a proper description of where we are.

TBH I don't see Gump adding new projects anymore and my personal
involvement has been reduced to writing more or less the same report
every quarter - mainly checking it still accurately describes the
situation.

I'm not suggesting terminating Gump but I wonder whether there is any
benefit in keeping it as a TLP if no other project is interested
anymore.

Cheers

Stefan

Re: Direction of Gump

Posted by Adam Jack <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hey Gentlemen,

I have been struggling to maintain connection with ASF for many years
(since my technology life went a different direction) and, despite good
intentions, I struggle to show up at meetings/pass along my proxy, etc. I
finally accepted the reality and went to emeritus last year, in the main to
lower the member count for quorum (i.e. my presence but lack of
participation was costing others.) Since ASF is about community over code,
I do wonder if Gump is ready to accept the reality that it was never a
perfect fit for a TLP at ASF, and (if what I read between the lines on
here) that its community benefit has waned with time. Maybe it could be
shut down as a TLP and move as a tool for Tomcat?

regards,

Adam

On Sun, Mar 5, 2023 at 10:18 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 19/02/2023 11:56, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > after Gump's last board report one of the members asked whether we
> > aren't disturbed by not adding any new committers for many years now
> > (actually I don't believe anybody who is a not a PMC member already has
> > posted anything to ths list for years).
>  >
> > And whether Gump really mostly is on life-support for the benefit of
> > Tomcat. Given that the only person who has done anything for a long time
> > has been Mark and he has done so for the benefit of Tomcat, this may be
> > a proper description of where we are.
>
> I think it is a shame many of the projects have moved away from Gump
> over the years. But we are where we are.
>
> Tomcat continues to get some benefit from Gump although it is mostly
> early warning of changes to default cipher suites in OpenSSL and we
> haven't have that many of those changes over the last few years.
>
> I think it is fair to say only Tomcat is benefiting from Gump now.
>
> > TBH I don't see Gump adding new projects anymore
>
> Agreed.
>
> > and my personal
> > involvement has been reduced to writing more or less the same report
> > every quarter - mainly checking it still accurately describes the
> > situation.
> >
> > I'm not suggesting terminating Gump but I wonder whether there is any
> > benefit in keeping it as a TLP if no other project is interested
> > anymore.
>
> What are the other options if it isn't a TLP? Close it down obviously.
> Anything else?
>
> Mark

Adam R. B. Jack
https://www.neukadye.com
https://adamjack.wordpress.com/

Re: Direction of Gump

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2023-03-05, Mark Thomas wrote:

>> I'm not suggesting terminating Gump but I wonder whether there is any
>> benefit in keeping it as a TLP if no other project is interested
>> anymore.

> What are the other options if it isn't a TLP? Close it down
> obviously. Anything else?

Things that come to my mind:

* ask the Tomcat PMC to take over oversight
* turn it into an infrastructure offering

Neither of both would mean the people who currently participate (you,
Mark :-) have to stop doing so.

Stefan

Re: Direction of Gump

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.