Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Emperor <Da...@gmx.net> on 2002/02/28 22:14:09 UTC

async connection manager

Hi,

As I said last time, the async connection manager is pretty far. Seems
to be working (on win32). I have to change some things in the API
(packet sent, packet error events) and ConnectStatus interface (to be
able to monitor the connect process and to identify which one has
failed). I think after these mods the API will not change (if nobody can
give me a good reason). Perhaps it's time to put it on CVS (as pre-alpha
candidate ;) )?

I would need help in order to make it 100% avalon-style, to remove typos
or bad english ;), to test it under linux and to benchmark it. Any
voluntarees? As it is highly extensible we could implement event based
protocol handlers for HTTP, SMTP, TLS ... And async connection manager
implementations like java.nio or threaded (standart sockets... maybe
polling?).

I think this interface could be very useful to everyone who needs
scalable IO (even without JDK 1.4).

Nils

Re: async connection manager

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 08:14, Emperor wrote:
>
>>As I said last time, the async connection manager is pretty far. Seems
>>to be working (on win32). I have to change some things in the API
>>(packet sent, packet error events) and ConnectStatus interface (to be
>>able to monitor the connect process and to identify which one has
>>failed). I think after these mods the API will not change (if nobody can
>>give me a good reason). Perhaps it's time to put it on CVS (as pre-alpha
>>candidate ;) )?
>>

> Sounds good to me !
>

>>I would need help in order to make it 100% avalon-style, to remove typos
>>or bad english ;), to test it under linux and to benchmark it. Any
>>voluntarees? As it is highly extensible we could implement event based
>>protocol handlers for HTTP, SMTP, TLS ... And async connection manager
>>implementations like java.nio or threaded (standart sockets... maybe
>>polling?).
>>

> sounds like a plan. It would be nice to have a little profile tool (maybe
> adapt JMeter?) to see how well it scales and all that.

I am a committer there, but the last time I posted an RT about changing
JMeter it meet with silence.  Honestly, JMeter needs to be adapted to
use Asyncronous connections to load test web sites with 1000s of
connections.  Currently, if you use a screen based graph visualizer, you
run into problems after about 100 connections.  In essence you would
need 10 machines all running 100 connections (none of them on the same
machine as the server) just to test it to 1000 simultaneous users.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: async connection manager

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 08:14, Emperor wrote:
> As I said last time, the async connection manager is pretty far. Seems
> to be working (on win32). I have to change some things in the API
> (packet sent, packet error events) and ConnectStatus interface (to be
> able to monitor the connect process and to identify which one has
> failed). I think after these mods the API will not change (if nobody can
> give me a good reason). Perhaps it's time to put it on CVS (as pre-alpha
> candidate ;) )?

Sounds good to me !

--
Cheers,