Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steven Elliott <tt...@mac.com> on 2002/03/18 22:57:43 UTC

MacOS X - Changing JAVA_OPTS for 8859_1 encoding

 From: Dave Makower <da...@mac.com>

> I think the correct syntax would be:
>
> JAVA_OPTS="-Dfile.encoding=8859_1"
>
> The quotes aren't really important, but the -D is.  If that was just a typo
> in your message, then I'm not really sure what the problem is.  But if that
> was actually what's in your script, it won't have the effect of setting a
> system property in Java unless the -D is there.
>
> (I really don't know anything about the file.encoding property in
> particular, or it's behavior, so I can't help you there.)

Thanks Dave for the suggestion but I tried that (amongst other numerous
variations) but I still was getting System.getProperty("file.encoding") =
MacRoman.

The only way I found was to replace $JAVA_OPTS everywhere in catalina.sh
with -Dfile.encoding="Latin-1" (I suppose 8859_1 would work, just haven't
tried yet....).

I look into it more later....

Thanks,

Steven