Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2022/11/27 23:25:09 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Gradle Patch Release for NetBeans 16

Dear all,

This is a kind of notice / discussion.

Frequent visitors of GitHub might notice, that I've created a new
Milestone NB16u1. There are a handful of important fixes in our Gradle
Support that would improve the Gradle/JDK compatibility. I think those
are important, as some of them are fixing regressions.

It's a bit unfortunate that these fixes have arrived late of our NB16
release phase. They could be annoying, but I would not stop the release
train on them. So I've decided to step up and create an unusual patch
release for NB16. I would like it to keep this update release low
profile, so we could deliver it ASAP.

Some things to know:

  * Created a branch for this named: release161
  * The milestone is NB16u1
  * I'm going to create PR-s against the new branch, by cherry-picking
    PR-s landed on master.
  * Once done, there would be (hopefully) one vote round on the whole
    source release zip.
  * NB16u1 will be delivered trough our Update Center. (Of course, the
    zip source distribution would be available, but the convenience
    binary would be just the nbm package)
  * I would steer this small update release as an RM, if there would be
    no objection.

Current PR candidates to be included in NB16u1:

  * https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/5014
  * https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/4995
  * https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/4984
  * https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/4985

Also I hope that there would be a fix for this as well:

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/issues/5015

As usual feedback is welcome!

--

Laszlo Kishalmi

Re: [DISCUSSION] Gradle Patch Release for NetBeans 16

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Yes. The UC, where it can be tested will be on Apache Jenkins. Once I
set up the build job, I'd post it here.

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.

Re: [External] : Re: [DISCUSSION] Gradle Patch Release for NetBeans 16

Posted by Martin Balin <mb...@apache.org>.
Hi,
Yes, there are several fixes which are related to Gradle & projects in general which did not make it to 16.0 because me and Svatopluk did not want to delay the release, e.g. https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/5006 <https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/5006>  Getting these into 16.0.1 will be great. I can work on that.

Martin

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by László Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Yes, exactly.

Posted by László Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Go on!

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
These changes will be in the January release of VSCode plugin, according
to Martin.

Your assumption on the artifacts is correct.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Well, that's in.

I've made a new build The update center as Neil proposed could be:

https://nightlies.apache.org/netbeans/candidate/netbeans/nbms/updates.xml.gz

Posted by Martin Balín <ma...@windowslive.com>.

Posted by Svata Dedic <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Dear Neil,

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by László Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi Neil!
I have not planned another build, just with the one with the updated
netbeansrelease.json.
I was swamped with work this week, so I need to assess the situation and
feedback during the weekend.

Both mentioned feature requests are doable for NB17

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.
On 22/12/15 9:34 AM, László Kishalmi wrote:
> Thanks for your understanding!
>
> Went ahead and merged the delivery to the release160 branch. The update can
> be tested by adding the following update center URL:
>
> https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbeans/job/release160/14/artifact/dist/netbeans/nbms/updates.xml.gz

Still running NetBeans on JDK-11
Inalled update with plugin manager
     Once it is installed, there doesn't seem to be a way to tell from
the plugin
     manager that I'm using the new stuff, but
     org.netbeans.modules.gradle/2 [2.29.1
Netbeans/netbeans-TLP/netbeans/release160-14-on-20221215]
     org.netbeans.modules.gradle.java [1.20.1.1
Netbeans/netbeans-TLP/netbeans/release160-14-on-20221215]

Opened gradle 6.1.1 project, built it
Opened gradle 6.8.3 project, built it

Tried the compose project,
     [#4865] Register JDPA and Java Compiler Output on Project level #4984
No change, still stuck waiting for debugger, manual attach OK.

Restarted NetBeans on JDK-17
Repeated everything and then some. Work the same.

Looks like I can now run NetBeans on JDK-17 and run gradle projects
that require JDK-8 or JDK-11. (and probably many combinations).

Thanks a lot.
-ernie

Posted by Thomas Kellerer <sh...@gmx.net>.
I had problems that NB 16 did not load my Gradle 7.5.1 projects at all.
With the fix, those projects can now be loaded and build

Thanks a lot!

Thomas

Posted by Martin Balin <mb...@apache.org>.
Hello,

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Dear all,

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 at 03:54, Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since the milestone is NB16u1, let's mark your the wished PR-s with
> "16u1" label.
>
> I'm going to create cherry-picked PRs from those, and remove the label
> when the PR is ready for NB16u1 milestone.

We do already have a Cherry Pick label for that purpose.

Either is fine, but if we're going to use temporary version labels,
let's delete both when this is done.  Be good to prune a few unused
ones!

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: [External] : RE: [DISCUSSION] Gradle Patch Release for NetBeans 16

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Well,

Posted by Martin Balin <mb...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 28 Nov 2022 at 15:43, László Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> release161 branch has been removed, PR-s have been re-targeted to
> release160.

Great, thanks!  I'm just waiting on votes for rest of additional
binaries to start and I'll close the main vote.  Want to make sure
everything is OK before we merge anything else into the branch.

> We had as far as I remember 3 update releases for 12 LTS. Out of the 3 one
> was released with maven artifacts due to some issues with the original
> RELEASE120.

Funny, my memory was that there had been 3 too, but only 2 listed in
netbeansrelease.json.  Maybe it just got discussed?

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: [DISCUSSION] Gradle Patch Release for NetBeans 16

Posted by László Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Dear all,

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
Hi,

https://github.com/apache/netbeans-jenkins-lib/blob/master/meta/netbeansrelease.json section release160

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
On 28.11.22 10:16, Neil C Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Nov 2022 at 01:47, Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think I like this approach. Just to be sure I understand: this also
>> means there will be no RELEASE161 artifacts in maven-central? The only
>> binaries of this release are the updated gradle modules in the update
>> center?
> I can't say I "like" the approach. :-)  It's the one we have, and it's
> a bit of a pain, which is why we've not done it very often!

Yeah I can see that. I just think it is good to have a more-lightweight
way of releasing a patch if there is the need.

Its also good to practice this from time to time for bugfixes to make
sure the process is working in case of high priority security fixes.

> We've only pushed Maven artefacts for a patch update once - see
> RELEASE120-u1.  I can't remember why we chose to on that one.

Eric knows since he told me how to filter the versions you see on the
new NB application wizard. There is also a 120-1 btw ;)

The maven build of 120 didn't work properly that is why its filtered out
if I remember correctly (i believe thats basically why 120-1 exists).

There is probably only one u1 since there was only one update to the LTS
release, right?

> The only way I can think we could change that, which has been
> discussed before, is publishing all modules via spec version instead,
> and publishing a cluster BOM for all releases and patch updates.  It
> would be a good change, but also potentially a lot of work for
> something we only need infrequently.

I bet you are already thinking about how to preload the update in your
codelerity NB bundles :)

best regards,

michael

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.