Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/17 22:29:18 UTC

[Trinidad] JDK5 EOL, upgrade to JDK6?

JDK 5 can no longer be downloaded without stepping through hoops to
try to get it as it has reached its end of life.

I'd vote to make JDK 6 the minimum JDK for Trinidad trunk.

What do others think?

-Andrew

Re: [Trinidad] JDK5 EOL, upgrade to JDK6?

Posted by Jan-Kees van Andel <ja...@gmail.com>.
Do you mean the @Override annotation on interface implementing
methods? Yeah, that's annoying.

But IMHO no reason to force users to move to JDK 6. The companies I
see, are currently using 5 (some even use 1.4).
What feature of JDK 6 do you want to use? Besides the (Concurrent)
Collections API I don't know any features that are of much use for
Trinidad.

I think it's very important for any software library to keep its users
happy. Forcing users into a new JDK if they want to upgrade (maybe
because they are interested in a bug fix) won't make them very happy.

/JK

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Kočí <Ma...@aura.cz>.
Hi,

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
in fact, I don't even have it installed at all :-)

So, I am up for a vote like that. I am actually interested
in that result. I don't mind to *only* support JDK 6 ...

Maybe we should wait one more release ? My plan is
to do a release in July, when I am back in Germany
(as I have my gpg keys not on my notebook)

-M

--
Matthias Wessendorf

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

Re: [Trinidad] JDK5 EOL, upgrade to JDK6?

Posted by Gary Kind <ga...@oracle.com>.
absolutely.

Gary