Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Fokko Driesprong <fo...@apache.org> on 2023/12/12 09:21:27 UTC

[DISCUSS] Apache Avro 1.12.0

Hi everyone,

I would like to discuss the Apache Avro 1.12.0 release. Recently for Java,
we have merged the DirectBlockingBinaryEncoder
<https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/2521> and the support for nanosecond
timestamps <https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/2608>. Next to that, there
is much more that I think would be great to get out to the public. I would
like to know if there is anything that you think should be included in the
release, so we can start planning the next release. Thoughts?

Kind regards,
Fokko

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Avro 1.12.0

Posted by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@driesprong.frl>.
Hey Oscar,

Thanks for providing the context of the new schema parser API. It would be
great to get the subset in. Let me know when you have it ready so we can
move forward with the release.

Kind regards,
Fokko

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Avro 1.12.0

Posted by Oscar Westra van Holthe - Kind <os...@westravanholthe.nl>.
Hi,

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Avro 1.12.0

Posted by Fokko Driesprong <fo...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Avro 1.12.0

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Feb 12, 2024 at 11:59 AM Fokko Driesprong <fo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I wanted to bring the release up again. We now have Nanosecond support,
> Fixed bytes encoded UUIDs, and the directBlockingBinaryEncoders that we're
> on the Iceberg side very much looking forward to.
>
> How about running a 1.12.0 release? After that, we can discuss the 2.0
> release with major new features (dropping Java 8, new schema parser, etc).
> WDYT?

Agreed!

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Avro 1.12.0

Posted by Fokko Driesprong <fo...@apache.org>.
Hey everyone,

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Avro 1.12.0

Posted by Fokko Driesprong <fo...@apache.org>.
Hey everyone,

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Avro 1.12.0

Posted by "David M. Carr" <da...@carrclan.us>.
Just noticed this thread.

--
David M. Carr
david@carrclan.us

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Avro 1.12.0

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.
+1 to do a release.

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Avro 1.12.0

Posted by Ryan Skraba <ry...@skraba.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Avro 1.12.0

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
+1 to release 1.12.0 !

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Avro 1.12.0

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@tabular.io>.
+1 to getting the block encoder released!

--
Ryan Blue
Tabular

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Avro 1.12.0