Posted to npanday-dev@incubator.apache.org by Josimpson Ocaba <jo...@maestrodev.com> on 2010/10/26 06:25:54 UTC

NPanday 2.0 Mile Stone Updates

Hi Everyone,

Here are some of the originally listed mile stones for 2.0

1) Removal of the UAC (so that NPanday will be more maven-like since it will have only one repository)

2) Support for VS 2010 and .Net 4.0

3) Refactor .net source code especially Addin module

We have #'s 1 & 2 Done and We would like to ask if you think we should add more for NPanday 2.0

like;

* Removal of the RDF Repository Implementation
* Other Project Types to support
* Support for other Languages for Visual Studio (Spanish,German, etc... )

We are aiming for more features and a better user experience. Please feel free to add your inputs

Joe Ocaba

Multi-language Addin (was NPanday 2.0 Mile Stone Updates)

Posted by Lars Corneliussen <me...@lcorneliussen.de>.
Hi,

* Support for other Languages for Visual Studio (Spanish,German, etc... )

I have already done some work on supporting other languages in Visual
Studio.
That would require NPanday to handle satelite assemblies, though.

Since I'll write an article on NPanday for a German magazine I have to
get it working in a German VS, anyway. But if you have time to work on
it - even better.

BTW, I also started to refactor the Addin module to "command pattern"
for UI-actions.

I cherry-picked my old 1.2-commit and reapplied it to the current trunk
- but without checking if it works.
Maybe you can at least extract the ideas.

You can download a svn-based patch here:
http://lcorneliussen.de/utils/git-svn/github.com/lcorneliussen/npanday/tree/v2.0-GermanAddIn

It's based on following git branch:
http://github.com/lcorneliussen/npanday/tree/v2.0-GermanAddIn

Hope that helps.

-Lars

Re: NPanday 2.0 Mile Stone Updates

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 27/10/2010, at 12:43 PM, Josimpson Ocaba wrote:

> ----- "Dennis Lundberg" <de...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I feel that 1 and 2 is enough for a release. I'm a big fan of release
>> early - release often, so any other features you want to add can come
>> in
>> a later version. The sooner you get the product into the hand of the
>> users the sooner you'll get feedback. Also, having focused releases
>> makes it easier to fix any regressions.
>
> Great points, we also did have a thread asking everyone if we want more constant releases our more features for each release and I think that it was leaning towards more constant releases.
>
> So let's just wait for more feed back from everyone, then we will send a summary for the 2.0 Milestones :)

Sorry, getting back to this late after ApacheCon.

I agree with Dennis about releasing sooner - looks like we've got good changes to get rolling, and the incubator release process is hairy the first time around.

My only nitpick is that I don't think the changes so far represent "2.0", especially if we're not changing any group IDs or package names. Maybe we could call this 1.3-incubating, and reserve 2.0 for the following:
- RDF removal / alignment to Maven resolution mechanism
- refactoring the plugins inline with that
- split the VS integration into a separate release
- multi-language support

WDYT?

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: NPanday 2.0 Mile Stone Updates

Posted by Josimpson Ocaba <jo...@maestrodev.com>.

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.
Hello,

I would like to add Maven3 support. I had once some NPE when using M3.
I tried to reproduce it with 1.2.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT but I can't, there
seems to be a problem with the file
http://repo.npanday.org/archiva/repository/npanday-snapshots/npanday/plugin/NPanday.Plugin.Msbuild/1.2.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT/NPanday.Plugin.Msbuild-1.2.2-incubating-20101021.033043-5.dllwhich
is 0 length.
I will try tomorrow and open a JIRA if it is reproduced.

Regards
Jeff MAURY

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Josimpson Ocaba <jo...@maestrodev.com>wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Here are some of the originally listed mile stones for 2.0
>
> 1) Removal of the UAC (so that NPanday will be more maven-like since it
> will have only one repository)
>
> 2) Support for VS 2010 and .Net 4.0
>
> 3) Refactor .net source code especially Addin module
>
> We have #'s 1 & 2 Done and We would like to ask if you think we should add
> more for NPanday 2.0
>
> like;
>
> * Removal of the RDF Repository Implementation
> * Other Project Types to support
> * Support for other Languages for Visual Studio (Spanish,German, etc... )
>
> We are aiming for more features and a better user experience. Please feel
> free to add your inputs

> Joe Ocaba

working and scaling.
 - Bjarne Stroustrup