Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com> on 2020/05/21 09:11:22 UTC

JDK 14 missing pack200 is a problem even for older NetBeans plugins!?

I assumed the removal of pack200 is a problem only for the NetBeans
installer, but apparently NetBeans cannot even install older modules:

WARNING [org.netbeans.updater]
java.io.IOException: CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the
file specified
at java.base/java.lang.ProcessImpl.create(Native Method)
at java.base/java.lang.ProcessImpl.<init>(ProcessImpl.java:483)
at java.base/java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(ProcessImpl.java:158)
at java.base/java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:1107)
Caused: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "C:\Program
Files\Java\jdk-14.0.1\bin\unpack200.exe" (in directory
"C:\Users\X\AppData\Roaming\NetBeans\12.0-beta4\modules"):
CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified
at java.base/java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:1128)
at java.base/java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:1071)
[catch] at org.netbeans.updater.ModuleUpdater.unpack200(ModuleUpdater.java:567)
at org.netbeans.updater.ModuleUpdater.unpack(ModuleUpdater.java:465)
at org.netbeans.updater.ModuleUpdater.run(ModuleUpdater.java:117)
INFO [org.netbeans.updater]: File
C:\Users\X\AppData\Roaming\NetBeans\12.0-beta4\modules\ro-emilianbold-modules-maven-search-remote.jar.pack.gz
deleted.
INFO [org.netbeans.updater]: Ignore non-readable files
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
C:\Users\X\AppData\Roaming\NetBeans\12.0-beta4\modules\ro-emilianbold-modules-maven-search-remote.jar
(The system cannot find the file specified)
at java.base/java.io.FileInputStream.open0(Native Method)
at java.base/java.io.FileInputStream.open(FileInputStream.java:212)
at java.base/java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:154)
at org.netbeans.updater.UpdateTracking.getFileCRC(UpdateTracking.java:507)
[catch] at org.netbeans.updater.ModuleUpdater.unpack(ModuleUpdater.java:469)
at org.netbeans.updater.ModuleUpdater.run(ModuleUpdater.java:117)

So NetBeans forks a separate process to do the unpacking and with JDK
14 that unpack200 executable no longer exists. Maybe it should use a
library for unpack?

--emi

Re: JDK 14 missing pack200 is a problem even for older NetBeans plugins!?

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 17.06.2020, 11:24 +0200 schrieb Geertjan Wielenga:
> This problem with Pack200 appears to apply to NBMs -- i.e., assuming that
> 12.0 can be installed with JDK 14 (is this true?), we also need to think
> about how plugins that were packed with pack200 can be installed in 12.0
> running on JDK

I'd like to turn this arounnd: Is this really a problem? The OpenJDK
developers obviously decided, that it is not a problem for the JDK
users.

I still thing the autoupdate code is to fragile for more stunts to be
packed in, so I'd remove the pack200 codepaths and be done with it.

Greetings

Matthias

Re: JDK 14 missing pack200 is a problem even for older NetBeans plugins!?

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
> Any ideas?

Take the source code from pack200, create a library, publish it in
Maven central, change the NetBeans code not to fork unpack200 process
but to use this library. Of course, library will be GPLw/CPE so we
won't be able to ship it, but we could install it as a runtime module.
So, besides that we need to detect when we need pack200, notify the
user and strongly hint installing that module is necessary or they
won't be able to install their 3rd party module.

--emi

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
- středa 17. června 2020 11:42:34 CEST, Jan Lahoda -
> The only realistic thing that I was able to think up so far was to detect
> the missing unpack200, warn the user,

Warning the user is a must have, otherwise NetBeans behaves really wildly.

> and ask for a location of an older
> JDK that still has the tool (which we then use to do the unpacking).

This is the simplest solution and it should be good enough for majority of
developers. They are gonna have JDK8, JDK11, etc. around for years...

My 2 Kč.
-jt

Re: JDK 14 missing pack200 is a problem even for older NetBeans plugins!?

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
Unfortunately, I believe this is partly native code. So using that is tricky, and given the issues with GPLv2+CPE, it didn't seem the lift its own weight.

Jan

17. června 2020 12:07:02 SELČ, "Matthias Bläsing" <mb...@doppel-helix.eu> napsal:
>Hi,
>
>we could also see if
>
>https://github.com/pack200/pack200
>
>is a viable alternative. The ASF still rejects GPLv2-CPE (I wait for
>the day Swing gets separated from the JDK...), but we could package it
>outside the Apache Netbeans Project as a module and distribute it via
>the plugin portal.
>
>I have not looked into how we could inject the classes into the
>updatecenter module, but it might be doable.
>
>Greetings
>
>Matthias
>
>Am Mittwoch, den 17.06.2020, 11:42 +0200 schrieb Jan Lahoda:
>> The only realistic thing that I was able to think up so far was to
>> detect the missing unpack200, warn the user, and ask for a location
>> of an older JDK that still has the tool (which we then use to do the
>> unpacking).
>>
>> Jan
>>

>> 17. června 2020 11:40:03 SELČ, Geertjan Wielenga <geertjan@apache.org
>> > napsal:
>> > Great, thanks for verifying.
>> >
>> > I'm not sure how/if we can solve the NBM situation -- i.e., they
>> > would
>> > need
>> > to be rebuilt without Pack200.
>> >
>> > Gj
>> >
>> > On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 11:32 AM Christian Lenz
>> > <ch...@gmx.net>

>> > running JDK
>> > >
>https://github.com/madflow/flow-netbeans-markdown/releases/tag/2.3.2

Odesláno aplikací K-9 Mail ze systému Android. Omluvte prosím moji stručnost.

Re: JDK 14 missing pack200 is a problem even for older NetBeans plugins!?

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
The only realistic thing that I was able to think up so far was to detect the missing unpack200, warn the user, and ask for a location of an older JDK that still has the tool (which we then use to do the unpacking).

Jan

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 at 10:40, Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> wrote:
> Great, thanks for verifying.
>
> I'm not sure how/if we can solve the NBM situation -- i.e., they would need
> to be rebuilt without Pack200.

The only thing I've noticed mentioned here and elsewhere, aside from
the user linking in an old JDK 13 version of the relevant tool, is
making use of Apache Harmony's - eg. in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-2842

I'd be tempted to mark this as a "can't fix" issue and document the workarounds.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: JDK 14 missing pack200 is a problem even for older NetBeans plugins!?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Great, thanks for verifying.

AW: JDK 14 missing pack200 is a problem even for older NetBeans plugins!?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Luff,Chris" <Ch...@Cerner.com.INVALID>.

On 21 May 2020, at 10:11, Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>> wrote:

[...]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This message and any included attachments are from Cerner Corporation and are intended only for the addressee. The information contained in this message is confidential and may constitute inside or non-public information under international, federal, or state securities laws. Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, or use of such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by e-mail or you may call Cerner's corporate offices in Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A at (+1) (816)221-1024. Cerner Limited, Registered in England no 2519305, Registered Office 37 North Wharf Road, London W2 1AF.

RE: JDK 14 missing pack200 is a problem even for older NetBeans plugins!?

Posted by Louis Collet <lo...@skynet.be>.
jpackage ?

> So NetBeans forks a separate process to do the unpacking and with JDK
> 14 that unpack200 executable no longer exists. Maybe it should use a
> library for unpack?

Is there one that could be used anywhere?

Neil

Re: JDK 14 missing pack200 is a problem even for older NetBeans plugins!?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.