Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Jim Hazen <ji...@myplay.com> on 2001/05/10 21:26:10 UTC

SOAP Action Header

What purpose does the SOAP Action Header serve?  Is it used by the SOAP rpc or
message routers, or is it a way for developers to gain access to the http
headers instead of having to parse the SOAP object in all cases?

What are the restrictions on this header?

Will it be supported in upcoming releases?

-Jim

Re: SOAP Action Header

Posted by "Michael J. Hudson" <mh...@blueprinttech.com>.
>From my understanding, the SOAP standard doesn't really define what the
SOAP Action URI should be.  Essentially, it's initial purpose is
nothing more than to tell the server receiving the HTTP post that the
payload of that post is a SOAP XML message.  So, if the SOAPAction is
there in the HTTP header, then a SOAP message is attached.  The spec
seems to say then... that, the actual URI that the SOAPAction specifies
is up to an agreement between the XML-writer and the SOAP Server being
used... different URIs can mean to tell the server to expect different
types of SOAP messages... either a RPC message, or mime attachment, or
just XML-ized data.  The implementor has full reign...

Re: SOAP Action Header

Posted by "Michael J. Hudson" <mh...@blueprinttech.com>.