Posted to dev@apex.apache.org by Sandesh Hegde <sa...@datatorrent.com> on 2015/12/24 02:14:28 UTC

Deprecating the Operators in the Contrib

Hello Team,

What are the general guidelines on deprecating the operators in the Contrib?

Example :

I was planning to use Apache Solr 5.4 libraries for the Solr input/output
operators.
But it is not backward compatible with the Solr 4.10.1 on which Solr
operators are written.

Just adding the deprecated tag is not enough, as Contrib has single POM
file, then both the versions of the Solr library will have to share the
space.

Thanks
Sandesh

Re: Deprecating the Operators in the Contrib

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@datatorrent.com>.
Supporting different, non-compatible versions of an external system can be
done through separate Maven modules. Splitting things out of contrib is on
the radar. The first candidate is Kafka, for which a PR is already open.
Similar situation, 0.9 has a new API, we will still keep around the 0.8.x
support in the contrib module.

Thomas