Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Susheel Raina <ra...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/18 23:57:21 UTC

Running a remote process in background

Hi,

We are having Weblogic Server on a linux box and the deployment set up is
done from Windows Box remotely.

I have to start/stop the server using ant and for that I am using sshexec
command.

Now the problem with it is that I need to exit the task once the server is
started but in my case it doesn't happen.

The build process is automated and since the ant command doesnt exit the
build goes on and doesn't stop.

I tried to use ant-contrib task forget but that is not helping too as the
command never executes.

I dont want to change the Weblogic start shell script.

Any Suggestions please.

Susheel Raina

Re: Running a remote process in background

Posted by Susheel Raina <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jurgen,

Yes the server is starting and it then it waits there till the server doesnt
stop. No other tasks are run till that moment.

I have found a workaround for the same, i am using <limit> and nesting the
sshexec inside it...so it comes out of it after default time which is 3
minutes.

Thanks,
Susheel
On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 12:56 AM, Knuplesch, Juergen <
Juergen.Knuplesch@icongmbh.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> So what is happening instead? Is ANT waiting for the server to stop?
>
> Is the server starting?
>
> Did you try it with a more somple command to start on the remote machine?
> (sth. Like "cat"....)
>
> I used these days the exec-command on a Windows machine and it works fine
> now.
> I use it to start a DB-Server in the background. Afterwards I send this
> server a stop-request.
> There I use the "spawn" argument to start the program in a different
> process.
>
> I also use <forget> and this is working fine.
>
> 1.Is sshexec behaving as exec? (kicking off a background process or is it
> waiting on the remote command to end?)
> 2.Could you send us (parts of) the task, that does not end?
>
> Greetings
>
> --
> Jürgen Knuplesch

Susheel Raina

AW: Running a remote process in background