Posted to dev@kudu.apache.org by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com> on 2016/01/21 20:07:18 UTC

Working towards an 0.7.0 release

Hey devs,

As Nick Wolf recently pointed out on the mailing list, it's been a while
since we've done a release. We also haven't yet done a release as part of
the ASF incubator. Releasing is of course an important part of being an
Apache project :) I wanted to start the discussion of doing an 0.7 release
in the first half of Feb.

In terms of content, let's try to make this a time-based release rather
than scope based. We already have a number of good bug fixes, plus we'll
have some work to do to get everything up to snuff with regard to ASF
policies, etc.

I took a first pass through our open JIRAs that were listed with a target
version of 0.7.0, and kicked a few to backlog where I knew that they'd gone
inactive or didn't seem as critical as they once did. I also tried to
adjust some priorities, but didn't do a thorough triage. Would be great if
everyone could:

1) Go through your "assigned" JIRAs for 0.7.0, and see if the priority
reflects reality. I think we should target getting all 'Blocker' and
'Critical' JIRAs done, and assume that anything 'Major' and below would be
nice-to-have but would get bumped to a later release if not done in time.

2) If you're "assigned" anything that you don't plan on working on in the
next several weeks, please mark it unassigned so that other contributors
know it's free to be picked up. Of course "assigned" isn't an exclusive
lock, and anyone should always feel free to grab a JIRA from someone else,
but would be nice to have a good list of unassigned work to point new
interested contributors at.

3) The inverse of above: if you're actively working on something that you
think should happen in 0.7.0, but isn't showing up in the list, please add
the 0.7.0 target version and check its priority.

Here's the list of open JIRAs:
https://issues.cloudera.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20KUDU%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20unresolved%20and%20%22Target%20Version%2Fs%22%20%3D%20%220.7.0%22%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

Let's do the triaging aggressively with the assumption that there will be
more releases within a few months after this one. If an issue misses this
train, it can hop on the next :)

In terms of release management and target date, I think JD had expressed
some interest in being an RM for this release. JD, you still up for it? I'm
happy to help with the triaging, etc.

-Todd

Re: Working towards an 0.7.0 release

Posted by Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 11:14 AM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 11:07 AM, Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey devs,
> >
> > As Nick Wolf recently pointed out on the mailing list, it's been a while
> > since we've done a release. We also haven't yet done a release as part of
> > the ASF incubator. Releasing is of course an important part of being an
> > Apache project :) I wanted to start the discussion of doing an 0.7
> release
> > in the first half of Feb.
> >
> > In terms of content, let's try to make this a time-based release rather
> > than scope based. We already have a number of good bug fixes, plus we'll
> > have some work to do to get everything up to snuff with regard to ASF
> > policies, etc.
> >
> > I took a first pass through our open JIRAs that were listed with a target
> > version of 0.7.0, and kicked a few to backlog where I knew that they'd
> gone
> > inactive or didn't seem as critical as they once did. I also tried to
> > adjust some priorities, but didn't do a thorough triage. Would be great
> if
> > everyone could:
> >
> > 1) Go through your "assigned" JIRAs for 0.7.0, and see if the priority
> > reflects reality. I think we should target getting all 'Blocker' and
> > 'Critical' JIRAs done, and assume that anything 'Major' and below would
> be
> > nice-to-have but would get bumped to a later release if not done in time.
> >
> > 2) If you're "assigned" anything that you don't plan on working on in the
> > next several weeks, please mark it unassigned so that other contributors
> > know it's free to be picked up. Of course "assigned" isn't an exclusive
> > lock, and anyone should always feel free to grab a JIRA from someone
> else,
> > but would be nice to have a good list of unassigned work to point new
> > interested contributors at.
> >
> > 3) The inverse of above: if you're actively working on something that you
> > think should happen in 0.7.0, but isn't showing up in the list, please
> add
> > the 0.7.0 target version and check its priority.
> >
> > Here's the list of open JIRAs:
> >

> https://issues.cloudera.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20KUDU%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20unresolved%20and%20%22Target%20Version%2Fs%22%20%3D%20%220.7.0%22%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC
> >
> > Let's do the triaging aggressively with the assumption that there will be
> > more releases within a few months after this one. If an issue misses this
> > train, it can hop on the next :)
> >
> > In terms of release management and target date, I think JD had expressed
> > some interest in being an RM for this release. JD, you still up for it?
> I'm
> > happy to help with the triaging, etc.
> >

> I'll be the RM.

+1 on all of the above from me.