Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/20 12:06:58 UTC

podlings.xml - field to hold details of non-current podlings

Podlings can either graduate, go dormant or retire.

There should be a reason for changing to state to dormant or retire;
at present this is stored as additional text in the description field,
which is not ideal.
I'd like to add a new field (call it <foo> for now) to contain the
details; possible better names for <foo> are:

- disposition
- resolution
- comment
- anything better?

Note: the displayed table is already quite wide, so I don't propose to
add another column to the HTML output.
The <foo> text would still be included as as part of the description
column; the main purpose is to retain the <description> as an
independent field.

In some cases, a URL might be relevant for retired projects; this
could be added as an attribute of the <foo> tag

In the case of graduated podlings, the reason is not really relevant.
What would be useful is the new URL; this could be an attribute of the
<foo> tag; the <foo> tag contents would in general be left empty for
graduated projects.

The URL could then be added as a link somewhere in the table.

Thoughts?

Re: podlings.xml - field to hold details of non-current podlings

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
sebb wrote:
> Podlings can either graduate, go dormant or retire.
>
> There should be a reason for changing to state to dormant or retire;
> at present this is stored as additional text in the description field,
> which is not ideal.
> I'd like to add a new field (call it <foo> for now) to contain the
> details; possible better names for <foo> are:
>
> - disposition
> - resolution
> - comment
> - anything better?
>
> Note: the displayed table is already quite wide, so I don't propose to
> add another column to the HTML output.
> The <foo> text would still be included as as part of the description
> column; the main purpose is to retain the <description> as an
> independent field.
>
> In some cases, a URL might be relevant for retired projects; this
> could be added as an attribute of the <foo> tag
>
> In the case of graduated podlings, the reason is not really relevant.
> What would be useful is the new URL; this could be an attribute of the
> <foo> tag; the <foo> tag contents would in general be left empty for
> graduated projects.
>
> The URL could then be added as a link somewhere in the table.
>
> Thoughts?

Thanks. I reckon use "resolution" and "resolution@url"

-David

Re: podlings.xml - field to hold details of non-current podlings

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 20 October 2011 15:46, Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 6:06 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In some cases, a URL might be relevant for retired projects; this
>> could be added as an attribute of the <foo> tag
>
> Is it at all possible that a current podling would have a nonstandard URL?

I would hope not; besides URLs are under the control of the Incubator,
and can easily be changed if necessary.

> I'm wondering if the URL attribute should be at the podling level,
> where it could, if needed, be used for current projects as well as
> non-current ones.

That would just encourage non-standard URLs.

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.