Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chris Pennock <cp...@plumbdesign.com> on 2001/08/03 15:47:55 UTC

Problems compiling Apache module mod_webapp.so

(1)
First of all, do I need to compile mod_webapp.so, or is there a binary
version I can grab? I assume that I do have to compile it, and that
some attributes specific to my apache configuration need to be
compiled in. I have tried one binary version that I found at
rpmfind.net, and when I start up apache I get the error:

$ ./apachectl start
Syntax error on line 206 of /home/cpennock/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /home/cpennock/apache/libexec/mod_webapp.so into server:
undefined symbol: ap_ctx_get

(2)
I have also tried to compile it, and when I reach the final step in
the final Makefile,
.../jakarta-tomcat-connectors/webapp/apache-1.3/Makefile,
which is:

mod_webapp.so: mod_webapp.lo
/home/cpennock/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/webapp/lib/libwebapp.la
/home/cpennock/apr/apr/libapr.la
        @echo Linking Apache 1.3 WebApp Module
        @$(SHELL) $(LIBTOOL) $(LTFLAGS) --mode=link \
                $(APXS_LD_SHLIB) $(APXS_LDFLAGS_SHLIB) \
                 mod_webapp.lo ../lib/libwebapp.la  $(LIBTOOL_LIBS) \
                 -o mod_webapp.so

(the important part of which translates into:
sh libtool -someflags --mode=link gcc mod_webapp.lo \
    ../lib/libwebapp.la $(LIBTOOL_LIBS) -o mod_webapp.so
)

I get the error:

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/../../../crt1.o: In function
`_start':
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/../../../crt1.o(.text+0x18):
undefined reference to `main'
mod_webapp.o: In function `wam_init':
/home/cpennock/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/webapp/apache-1.3/mod_webapp.c:109:
undefined reference to `ap_register_cleanup'
mod_webapp.o: In function `wa_log':
/home/cpennock/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/webapp/apache-1.3/mod_webapp.c:271:
undefined reference to `ap_log_error'
... and ~25 similar lines ...
/home/cpennock/apr/apr/.libs/libapr.so: undefined reference to
`dlerror'
/home/cpennock/apr/apr/.libs/libapr.so: undefined reference to
`pthread_create'
... and ~15 similar lines ...
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [mod_webapp.so] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/cpennock/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/webapp/apache-1.3'
make: *** [local-all] Error 2

Clearly, some libraries aren't being found, but why not? I imagine
that in some previous Makefile, like to Apache or apr, I had to point
to some other libraries, but I have not been able to find where I
should do this, if this is the case.

Any thoughts, help, links etc would be greatly appriciated.

thanks,
Chris

cpennock@plumbdesign.com

Re: Problems compiling Apache module mod_webapp.so

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Chris Pennock at cpennock@plumbdesign.com wrote:

> (1)
> First of all, do I need to compile mod_webapp.so, or is there a binary
> version I can grab? I assume that I do have to compile it, and that
> some attributes specific to my apache configuration need to be
> compiled in. I have tried one binary version that I found at
> rpmfind.net, and when I start up apache I get the error:

Yes, you need to compile the binary as there is not (yet) an official
distribution/release. I'm aware of two showstopper bugs that I need to fix
before posting out something official...

> $ ./apachectl start
> Syntax error on line 206 of /home/cpennock/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
> Cannot load /home/cpennock/apache/libexec/mod_webapp.so into server:
> undefined symbol: ap_ctx_get

This means that the version you downloaded was compiled against another
version of Apache (could be some troubles with EAPI calls)

> (2)
> I have also tried to compile it, and when I reach the final step in
> the final Makefile,
> .../jakarta-tomcat-connectors/webapp/apache-1.3/Makefile,
> which is:
>
> mod_webapp.so: mod_webapp.lo
> /home/cpennock/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/webapp/lib/libwebapp.la
> /home/cpennock/apr/apr/libapr.la
>       @echo Linking Apache 1.3 WebApp Module
>       @$(SHELL) $(LIBTOOL) $(LTFLAGS) --mode=link \
>               $(APXS_LD_SHLIB) $(APXS_LDFLAGS_SHLIB) \
>                mod_webapp.lo ../lib/libwebapp.la  $(LIBTOOL_LIBS) \
>                -o mod_webapp.so
>
> (the important part of which translates into:
> sh libtool -someflags --mode=link gcc mod_webapp.lo \
>   ../lib/libwebapp.la $(LIBTOOL_LIBS) -o mod_webapp.so
> )
>

> I get the error:
>
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/../../../crt1.o: In function
> `_start':
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/../../../crt1.o(.text+0x18):
> undefined reference to `main'
> mod_webapp.o: In function `wam_init':
> /home/cpennock/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/webapp/apache-1.3/mod_webapp.c:109:
> undefined reference to `ap_register_cleanup'
> mod_webapp.o: In function `wa_log':
> /home/cpennock/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/webapp/apache-1.3/mod_webapp.c:271:
> undefined reference to `ap_log_error'
> ... and ~25 similar lines ...
> /home/cpennock/apr/apr/.libs/libapr.so: undefined reference to
> `dlerror'
> /home/cpennock/apr/apr/.libs/libapr.so: undefined reference to
> `pthread_create'
> ... and ~15 similar lines ...
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [mod_webapp.so] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/cpennock/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/webapp/apache-1.3'
> make: *** [local-all] Error 2

The final step should be done with APXS, not with libtool... Did you specify
the --with-apxs command line option in your configure as described by the
README file?

> Clearly, some libraries aren't being found, but why not? I imagine
> that in some previous Makefile, like to Apache or apr, I had to point
> to some other libraries, but I have not been able to find where I
> should do this, if this is the case.
>
> Any thoughts, help, links etc would be greatly appriciated.

Must be some mistakes with the configure script... Did you follow the
README?

    Pier

Re: Tomcat 4 and Apache

Posted by Matt Barre <mb...@digiterra.com>.
To add to this question, I've noticed a little discussion about the performance of Tomcat
4. I am in the process of setting up a small hosting business for my web design business.
I'm debating between using apache + tomcat and just tomcat4 by itself. Tomcat 4b6 since to
be extremely good performance for both jsp/servlet and http/static serving. I don't
anticipate loads of over 10 simultaneous requests. I'd like to go with something that will
be stable and easy to upgrade for the longterm. Has anyone on the list used
tomcat-standalone in such an enviroment?

that lets apache and tomcat work together...if you comment out the webapp module in
server.xml, this message will go away.

Matt

Posted by Chris Pennock <cp...@plumbdesign.com>.
Lastly (hopefully):
Redhat 7.0

I'm using redhat, kernel version 2.2.16-22
Tomcat 4b6
apache 1.3.20
jakarta-tomcat-connector/webapp and apr fresh from CVS yesterday.

Also, from the errors I'm getting, perhaps libc can't be found or needs to
be in LD_PATH?

thanks