Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Kevin Cannon <ke...@multiblah.com> on 2006/06/21 09:57:25 UTC

Respositories List

Hi,

I'd just like to make a suggestion to subversion. I think it's very
important that you should be able to list all the repositories on a server.

I think it may be in the works? Has anyone any info on it.

Thanks,

- Kevin

Re: Respositories List

Posted by Andrew Melo <an...@world-of-frags.com>.
Kevin Cannon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd just like to make a suggestion to subversion. I think it's very
> important that you should be able to list all the repositories on a server.

Kevin-

A big problem with that is a lot of the 'serving repositories' part of
SVN isn't within SVN itself. If you're using file://, http:// or
https:// access to the repository, there's really not a way for you to
expose a list of repositories on a server because each of those methods
takes each repository separately. IIRC, svn:// and svn+ssh:// access
through svnserve _could_ be hacked to provide that information, but if
you really needed that much information about all the different SVN
information stored on a server, it would probably be best to just use
separate subdirectories within a repository instead of several small
repositories.

my 2cents :)
Andrew

Re: Respositories List

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 21, 2006, at 11:57, Kevin Cannon wrote:

> I'd just like to make a suggestion to subversion. I think it's very
> important that you should be able to list all the repositories on a
> server.

Being able to list *all* repositories on a server is probably not
reasonable, because Subversion doesn't keep track of them and doesn't
know where they are. I could say

svnadmin create /here
svnadmin create /one/two/three/there
svnadmin create /four/everywhere

How would Subversion find them? Would it have to search every
filesystem for the presence of certain files known to be in
repository directories? That would be massively slow, considering the
size of today's hard drives and RAIDs.

Not to mention the security implications. Consider a server on which
several users create repositories within their home directories, and
now they're all suddenly visible in some list.

There is, however, a subset of this feature which already exists.
Perhaps this is what you meant? If you serve your repositories with
Apache, and have several repositories created within the same
directory, and point to them using SVNParentPath, then normally
Apache will not give you a listing of the repositories. However, if
you're using Subversion 1.3.0 or greater on the server, and you turn
on the option SVNListParentPath, then it will. Note that this only
works with the Apache server module (not svnserve), and that it only
works when you browse the repository in a web browser (not from the
command-line client, AFAIK).