Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by ao...@bellsouth.net on 2003/10/31 17:14:40 UTC

CVS change notification via email

While working on patches I came to realize the value of having CVS notifications sent to a list.  It would be nice to know when someone updates the CVS repository.  Have you guys ever looked at the scripts that send email notification from CVS on commits?  Would you guys be interested in doing that or is that too much content to through into the mailing lists?

Just an idea that I thought I'd pose.  I try to use the watch capability in CVS but it really only works if everyone follows a certain set of standards with the CVS edit command etc and that's a PITA.

It would be nice to have an eclipse plugin that registered on a JMS topic for CVS updates to interact with a developer and show them diffs when they get committed.  That would be way cool.  Better yet you can do peer to peer communication between Avalon guys and have the plugin communicate local working directory changes and allow for instant messaging to allow for collaboration.  This way we can catch conflicts at the point they occur and handle them when the stack is fresh in the mind.  Would be a nice XP feature for the group but I'm just dreaming.

Back to reality.  Do you guys see value in CVS notification via email?

Alex

Re: CVS change notification via email

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

aok123@bellsouth.net wrote:

>Do you guys see value in CVS notification via email?

CVS commits are already posted on avalon-cvs@apache.org

Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

RE: CVS change notification via email

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

> From: aok123@bellsouth.net [mailto:aok123@bellsouth.net]
>
>Do you guys see value in CVS notification via email?

cvs-subscribe@avalon.apache.org

/LS