Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Nicholas Micalone <nj...@juno.com> on 2014/02/28 05:08:44 UTC

Document won't open

Open Office documents do not open when clicking on a document in "Documents". A document will open in Sandboxie, recover mode; however, in front of the title is a tilde and the word "Lock".
I have attached a screen shot. Please help. I have spent many hours trying to unlock via File Assassin and scanned three times each with Avast, Malwarebytes and Kasperski, all to no avail. No viruses found.
My OS is Windows XP SP3, Duckduckgo as a search engine and Firefox as the browser. I am somewhat of a newbie (barely graduated Computer 101 after the third go-around).
Thanx; Nick M.

---

Re: Document won't open

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 23:08:44 -0500
"Nicholas Micalone" <nj...@juno.com> wrote:

> Open Office documents do not open when clicking on a document in "Documents". A document will open in Sandboxie, recover mode; however, in front of the title is a tilde and the word "Lock".
> I have attached a screen shot. Please help. I have spent many hours trying to unlock via File Assassin and scanned three times each with Avast, Malwarebytes and Kasperski, all to no avail. No viruses found.
> My OS is Windows XP SP3, Duckduckgo as a search engine and Firefox as the browser. I am somewhat of a newbie (barely graduated Computer 101 after the third go-around).
> Thanx; Nick M.
>
> ---

First of all, try starting OpenOffice and use /File /Open  (or /File /Recent Documents) to see if your file will open that way. If so, you may need to remake the File Associations to allow files open by double clicking on them.

The "lock" file is a small (typically 300/400 byte) housekeeping file generated by OpenOffice to prevent multiple writes to an open file; it contains no useful data from the original file and you should waste no further time trying to open it. It may safely be deleted. The main file with which this housekeeping file is associated is at least 6KB and possibly much larger. If the "lock" file is left, it is indicative of OpenOffice or the computer having crashed.

If a system wide file search doesn't find the main file then you should examine two locations pointed to withing OpenOffice by /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : Paths. These locations are Temporar Files and Backups. In the Backup directory, depending on your OO settings, you may have a .bak file, which could contain an earlier version of your main file. In the Temporary directory, if there are files of about the correct date/time/size, with names such as aadgh.hyu, rename these to type .odt and see if they will open.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

RE: Document won't open

Posted by "Amin Jacek Pedziwiater,ASUSCOREURUS,�:IBMM" <am...@mm.pl>.
Answer 1 to Question 1 :
Generally 'yes' excluding two types of file extension
On 02/27/2014 11:08 PM, Nicholas Micalone wrote:
> Open Office documents do not open when clicking on a
document in
> "Documents". A document will open in Sandboxie,
recover mode; however,
> in front of the title is a tilde and the word "Lock".
> I have attached a screen shot. Please help. I have
spent many hours
> trying to unlock via File Assassin and scanned three
times each with
> Avast, Malwarebytes and Kasperski, all to no avail.
No viruses found.
> My OS is Windows XP SP3, Duckduckgo as a search
engine and Firefox as
> the browser. I am somewhat of a newbie (barely
graduated Computer
> 101 after the third go-around).
> Thanx; Nick M.

I do not know if you are subscribed, so I copied you
directly....

Question 1: If you run AOO and use File > Open, are you
able to open the
file?

If yes, then your problem is that the file type is not
associated to AOO.

I know almost nothing about sandboxie, but, given the
description, it is
possible that may make it not possible to work.

This may help

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859

--
Andrew Pitonyak