Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Matt Krass <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/29 02:29:44 UTC

Downconverting repositories

Hi everyone,
I am in the process of migrating severla SVN repositories to a new
server running Ubuntu 6.10, since we want to use older, stable
software, we're wary about updating anything beyond 6.10s package
versions. However, it seems that the version of Subversion included in
6.10 is older than the one I used to create and maintain the
repositories in question. Is there any way I can take my repositories
and down-convert them so my version of the software can import them
properly?

My output when I try to do anything repository related is something like this:
krass@storage:~/svn$ svnlook info repos/krass/
svnlook: warning: cannot set LC_CTYPE locale
svnlook: warning: environment variable LANG is en_US
svnlook: warning: please check that your locale name is correct
svnlook: Expected format '3' of repository; found format '5'
krass@storage:~/svn$

--
"You're offending the Gods of Common Sense again. Your sacrifice is imminent."

Re: Downconverting repositories

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 28, 2007, at 21:29, Matt Krass wrote:

> I am in the process of migrating severla SVN repositories to a new
> server running Ubuntu 6.10, since we want to use older, stable
> software, we're wary about updating anything beyond 6.10s package
> versions. However, it seems that the version of Subversion included in
> 6.10 is older than the one I used to create and maintain the
> repositories in question. Is there any way I can take my repositories
> and down-convert them so my version of the software can import them
> properly?
>
> My output when I try to do anything repository related is something
> like this:
> krass@storage:~/svn$ svnlook info repos/krass/
> svnlook: warning: cannot set LC_CTYPE locale
> svnlook: warning: environment variable LANG is en_US
> svnlook: warning: please check that your locale name is correct

You need to set LANG to something reasonable, such as "en_US.utf8" or
whatever the locale is called on your system. It apparently doesn't
think "en_US" is a valid value on your system. See the contents of /
usr/share/locale for ideas.

> svnlook: Expected format '3' of repository; found format '5'

You could try "svnadmin dump"ing the repository (you'd have to use
the newer Subversion on the old server to do this), then "svnadmin
load"ing it into a new repository created on the new server with the
older Subversion. I don't know whether the dump format has changed
between these versions of Subversion, but if it's going to work, this
would be the way to do it.