Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Barry Jaspan <bj...@spamnix.com> on 2004/09/09 17:04:04 UTC

Why does SA 3.0 require Perl 5.6.1?

I'm curious to know why SpamAssassin 3.0 requires Perl 5.6.1.  The reason
is that I develop a product that uses SpamAssassin on MacOS X, and MacOS X
10.2 has Perl 5.6.0.   I do not want to have to embed an entire Perl 5.8
distribution, though I can and do include a number of modules that are not
standard on MacOS X 10.2, and can work around individual problems as necessary.

I removed the line from SpamAssassin.pm requiring Perl 5.6.1 and, at first
glance, it appears to work fine.  I have not, of course, tested all the
functionality.

Thanks,

Barry

Note:  This message was dictated using voice recognition software.  Please
excuse any errors I missed.

Re: Why does SA 3.0 require Perl 5.6.1?

Posted by Barry Jaspan <bj...@spamnix.com>.
>The two main things I seem to remember are that perl 5.6.1 fixes a bunch
>of bugs from 5.6.0

If anyone can remember what bugs were fixed that affect SpamAssassin, I'd
appreciate it.

>FYI: MacOS X default perl has several issues.

No kidding.  :-)  Luckily, the setuid() and setgid() problem is not an
issue for me.

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net> writes:

> The two main things I seem to remember are that perl 5.6.1 fixes a bunch
> of bugs from 5.6.0, and the MakeMaker in 5.6.0 requires kluges to work
> correctly, in the same way 5.005 did.  (and just for fun, the MakeMaker
> version number is the same in 5.6.0 and 5.6.1, even though the modules are
> different)

In addition, no developer and (aside from MacOS people who seem to have
more perl-related problems with the default perl anyway) very few users
are running a version lower than 5.6.1, so 5.6.0 has not been
well-exercised.

Daniel

--
Daniel Quinlan
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/

Re: Why does SA 3.0 require Perl 5.6.1?

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 11:04:04AM -0400, Barry Jaspan wrote:
> I'm curious to know why SpamAssassin 3.0 requires Perl 5.6.1.  The reason
> is that I develop a product that uses SpamAssassin on MacOS X, and MacOS X
> 10.2 has Perl 5.6.0.   I do not want to have to embed an entire Perl 5.8
> distribution, though I can and do include a number of modules that are not
> standard on MacOS X 10.2, and can work around individual problems as
> necessary.

The two main things I seem to remember are that perl 5.6.1 fixes a bunch
of bugs from 5.6.0, and the MakeMaker in 5.6.0 requires kluges to work
correctly, in the same way 5.005 did.  (and just for fun, the MakeMaker
version number is the same in 5.6.0 and 5.6.1, even though the modules are
different)

FYI: MacOS X default perl has several issues.  The main (and rather