Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/03 15:08:40 UTC

Subversion Support on SuSE?

I've noticed that the binary releases of Subverion 1.5 doesn't include
the one platform our company standardized on: SuSE Linux.

I normally have no problems building from the source code, but we're
on SuSE 9.0, and APR and Neon just won't link or compile without
really overhauling the whole system. The best we've been able to do is
get Subversion 1.3 working on one machine as a client only.

Anyone else has Subversion working on SuSE 9.x or 10.x?

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Subversion Support on SuSE?

Posted by Staffan Tjernstrom <ma...@staffan.tjernstrom.name>.
The SDK for SLES10/SLED10 has 1.4 client and server ready to use.

openSuSE 10.x likewise (in the base distro).

I forget what was in the v9 series, but the support is there.

Posted by Bogdan Cristea <cr...@gmail.com>.
On Thursday 03 July 2008 18:13:04 Mark Phippard wrote:
> > I normally have no problems building from the source code, but we're
> > on SuSE 9.0, and APR and Neon just won't link or compile without
> > really overhauling the whole system.

We have had the same problem on a Slackware server. Without updating APR and
neon we have had to search for a subversion version old enough to be compiled
on our system. I recommend updating your systems if possible.

--
Bogdan Cristea
http://cristeab.googlepages.com

Re: Subversion Support on SuSE?

Posted by Philippe Andersson <pa...@iba-group.com>.
<qa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've noticed that the binary releases of
Subverion 1.5 doesn't include
>> the one platform our company standardized on:
SuSE Linux.

>> I normally have no problems building from the source code,
but we're
>> on SuSE 9.0, and APR and Neon just won't link or compile without
>> really overhauling the whole system. The best we've been able to do is

get Subversion 1.3 working on one machine as a client only.

>> Anyone else
has Subversion working on SuSE 9.x or 10.x?

> The CollabNet RPM for Red Hat
should work OK on SuSE.  It installs a
> self-contained install into
/opt/CollabNet_Subverison, so it does not
> mess with any of your existing
packages (or use them).

You can also have a look at the OpenSuSE build
service. They already
provide SuSE RPMs for Subversion 1.5:
<http://software.opensuse.org/search>

Search for "subversion" and select your
platform.

HTH

Ph. A.

--

*Philippe Andersson*
Unix System Administrator

The contents of this e-mail message
and any attachments are intended solely for the recipient (s) named above.
This communication is intended to be and to remain confidential and may be
protected by intellectual property rights. Any use of the information
contained herein (including but not limited to, total or partial reproduction,
communication or distribution of any form) by persons other than the
designated recipient(s) is prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by
e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from
your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-
free. Ion Beam Applications does not accept liability for any such errors.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Re: Subversion Support on SuSE?

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 11:08 AM, David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've noticed that the binary releases of Subverion 1.5 doesn't include
> the one platform our company standardized on: SuSE Linux.
>
> I normally have no problems building from the source code, but we're
> on SuSE 9.0, and APR and Neon just won't link or compile without
> really overhauling the whole system. The best we've been able to do is
> get Subversion 1.3 working on one machine as a client only.
>
> Anyone else has Subversion working on SuSE 9.x or 10.x?

The CollabNet RPM for Red Hat should work OK on SuSE.  It installs a
self-contained install into /opt/CollabNet_Subverison, so it does not
mess with any of your existing packages (or use them).

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Subversion Support on SuSE?

Posted by Pekka Niiranen <pe...@pp5.inet.fi>.
David Weintraub wrote:
> I've noticed that the binary releases of Subverion 1.5 doesn't include
> the one platform our company standardized on: SuSE Linux.
>
> I normally have no problems building from the source code, but we're
> on SuSE 9.0, and APR and Neon just won't link or compile without
> really overhauling the whole system. The best we've been able to do is
> get Subversion 1.3 working on one machine as a client only.
>
> Anyone else has Subversion working on SuSE 9.x or 10.x?
>
> --
> David Weintraub
> qazwart@gmail.com

I have installed Subversion v1.4.6 into SUSE v8.2 and SLES 10.1.
In both cases I did not install Apache as SUSE package but
compiled it from the sources. I also compiled OpenSSL
from sources since I use Apache + https to access the repository.

-pekka-