Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Fredrik Liden <fl...@translate.com> on 2005/03/24 01:29:58 UTC

Address localhost:8080 already in use

Here is a big problem that I've run into so many times.
I run start tomcat.
And then by accident I start it again while it is running.
After that I can't shut it down again. And if I try to run it it says
the address is in use. Have someone found any solution to this problem?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

/Fredrik

Re: Address localhost:8080 already in use

Posted by Paul <pa...@mnwebhost.net>.
I ran into this issue a while ago when I wrote a cronjob to check that
tomcat is outputting something expected and if not, stopping &
re-starting the service.  However, since my tomcat checking script (the
cronjob) was running every minute, I did run into some occasions where
the startup script would be called twice before tomcat was fully up and
responding to requests.  Probably the same thing you're reporting.

If you only run one instance of tomcat, then you should be ok simply
doing a "killall java".  However, if you are running multiple instances
of tomcat, then you only want to kill the suspected instance of tomcat
and not all of them.  If you're running all instances from the same
install dir, then look for something unique in "ps -ef" or you can
adjust your CATALINA_OPTS in catalina.sh so that you can tell which
instance is which when you run "ps -ef" then only kill those processes.
If you're running them from different install directories, then just
grep the output of "ps -ef" see the ones running from that path.  A
simple shell script can automate that for you.

Regards,

-Paul

Posted by Lionel Farbos <li...@free.fr>.
killall java