Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Gurdev Parmar <gp...@versant.com> on 2002/04/26 19:41:30 UTC

Path, refid,

Hi,
my build.xml has something like this:

<project ......>

<path id="framework.src">
    <fileset dir="${base.dir}">
    <include name="framework/*.java"/>
     <include name="eshop/src/client/AbstractAppServer.java"/>
   </fileset>
</path>

    <target name="framework"
            description="Creates framework.jar in install directory">
        <javac destdir="${out.classes.dir}" failonerror="true"
               debug="${debug}" deprecation="${deprecation}" optimize="${optimize}">
            <src refid="framework.src"/>
            <classpath path="${project.class.path}"/>
        </javac>
    </target>
</project>

Now, I get the following error
n:\gsp_v\test\syseng\java\bin\build.xml:251: N:\gsp_v\test\syseng\java\framework\AbstractTestClient.java is not a directory.

Isn't path id supposed to be used to have a template of a set of files?
Or is it for a template of directories? If it is for directories, why was it done
like that?

Is this a bug? I am using: Ant version 1.4.1 compiled on October 11 2001.

Thanks in advance,
Gurdev

Re: Path, refid,

Posted by David Jencks <da...@directvinternet.com>.
Obviously it is possible, however it would make it uneditable in my editor
of choice.  So far I prefer copying everything to the output directory.

david jencks

Re: Path, refid,

Re: Path, refid,

Posted by David Jencks <da...@directvinternet.com>.
Here's a simple example:

src/main/org/davesejbs/file1.java, file2.java

file1 is copy/filtered to

output/gen-src/davesejbs/file1.java

I want to compile file1.java from output/gen-src and file2.java from
src/main.  As far as includes/excludes go, the 2 copies of file1.java are
indistinguishable, so if it was to work, the includes/excludes would have
to go in the src or fileset element, not outside the src elements:

<src dir="src/main">
  <excludes file="org/davesejbs/file1.java">
</src>
<src dir="output/gen-src"/>

conceptually works, but

<src dir="src/main"/>
<src dir="output/gen-src/>
<excludes ???????? />

doesn't work.  I can't pick which copy of file1.java I want.

Incidently, perhaps someone has an idea for how to avoid the whole mess in
the first place.  I have some wrapper classes that implement jdbc
interfaces that have to compile under both jdk 1.3 and 1.4 : the jdk1.4
specific methods have to delegate them to the same methods on the wrapped
classes.  I came up with the idea of using the copy with filter task to
replace tokens into the appropriate comment ends depending on which jdk is
present -- kind of a primitive #ifdef preprocessor.  I'd sure appreciate
knowing of some other alternatives.

Thanks
david jencks

Re: Path, refid,

Posted by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Path, refid,

Posted by David Jencks <da...@directvinternet.com>.
I can't say I understand the reasons behind refusing to have
includes/excludes inside a fileset in a src tag for javac, but I would find
it extremely useful.  I am doing code transformation on files in only one
subdirctory of my module's source tree, and would like to be able to have
two filesets, one with the files from "untransformed" directories and one
with the transformed copies from the special directories.  To do this now I
have to copy every file, transforming only a few, and making finding errors
a real headache, or change the file names of the transformed files.  I
don't much like either one of these options.

david jencks

Re: Path, refid,

Posted by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Path, refid,

Posted by Gurdev Parmar <gp...@versant.com>.
> What makes you think I think that? I certainly never said I did, nor did I
> say that <path>'s can't include files -- they just need files that are
> *meaningful* to something that's asking for a path-type element. If the
> path-type element is specifying a classpath, then the <path> being
> referenced should include names of directories where class files can be
> found and/or names of archive-type files where class files can be found,
> because that's what's meaningful in a classpath. If the path-type element
> is specifying directories in which to search for source files, such as the
> include names of directories, since that's what's meaningful to it.

Sorry. I read too much into what you said.

>From how I see at <src> tag, you have made it powerful
enough to specify different source base directories. You see it
just as an extension of srcdir attribute but I see it as an extension
of srcdir and includes/excludes attributes which I think is more
logical. Why not make it take <fileset> tags which specify the
source files too. Why have different <include>/<exclude> tags
apart from the <src> tag?

Thanks for your attention,
Gurdev.

Re: Path, refid,

Posted by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com>.
--- Gurdev Parmar <gp...@versant.com> wrote:
> > > Like, the manual does not say that <fileset> inside <path> tag
> > > can be used only for jar files and not source files.
> >
> > But where would you ever have a path that includes source files? What
> > would use it? In other words, while it's not explicitly stated, the
> > fact that it's a path datatype should imply that only things that are
> > meaningful being part of a path should be included.
>
> Maybe you have come to acept it that way. But what makes you
> think that PATH means directories?

What makes you think I think that? I certainly never said I did, nor did I
say that <path>'s can't include files -- they just need files that are
*meaningful* to something that's asking for a path-type element. If the
path-type element is specifying a classpath, then the <path> being
referenced should include names of directories where class files can be
found and/or names of archive-type files where class files can be found,
because that's what's meaningful in a classpath. If the path-type element
is specifying directories in which to search for source files, such as the
include names of directories, since that's what's meaningful to it.

> As I told you I want to place all the source file patterns at one place.
> My build file contains many targets for compiling different sets of
> source files. I want to have the source file patterns for all these
> tasks at one place at the top [...]

Then you want to define a <patternset>.

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)

Re: Path, refid,

Posted by Gurdev Parmar <gp...@versant.com>.

> > Like, the manual does not say that <fileset> inside <path> tag
> > can be used only for jar files and not source files.
>
> But where would you ever have a path that includes source files? What
> would use it? In other words, while it's not explicitly stated, the fact
> that it's a path datatype should imply that only things that are
> meaningful being part of a path should be included.

Maybe you have come to acept it that way. But what makes you
think that PATH means directories? Path for me means path to
files too. And that is what the manual too makes you think by having
<fileset>  elements nested inside <path> elements.

> > Or that path-like elements are to be used only for directories.
>
> That's only true for <javac>'s nested <src> element. Maybe it would've
> been clearer to have it be a nested <srcdir> element?
Clubbing <src> as a path like element with <classpath> is a big
confusion trigger.

> > What do I do when I want to define all the source file patterns at one
> > place and just use the refid in the javac task?
>
> If you can tell me why you want to do that, I can point you to the right
> ways of going about it.

As I told you I want to place all the source file patterns at one place.
My build file contains many targets for compiling different sets of source
files. I want to have the source file patterns for all these tasks at
one place at the top so that later when anyone visits the build file
to edit the source files to be picked he doesn't need to wade through
the big file to find where the changes need to be made.

Thanks,
Gurdev

Re: Path, refid,

Posted by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com>.
--- Gurdev Parmar <gp...@versant.com> wrote:
> I want to address this problem to the dev group as well. Sorry for
> the bandwidth.

I've reduced the bandwidth back down to just ant-user, since this isn't
really an ant-dev issue. If you have patches to the documentation you'd
like to contribute, that'd go to ant-dev (or Bugzilla), but this thread
doesn't really need to.

> Like, the manual does not say that <fileset> inside <path> tag
> can be used only for jar files and not source files.

But where would you ever have a path that includes source files? What
would use it? In other words, while it's not explicitly stated, the fact
that it's a path datatype should imply that only things that are
meaningful being part of a path should be included.

> Or that path-like elements are to be used only for directories.

That's only true for <javac>'s nested <src> element. Maybe it would've
been clearer to have it be a nested <srcdir> element?

> Secondly, I want to know why the ant developers thought that <src>
> should be a path like element where we can specify only directories
> and <classpath> can be a path like element which can take
> jar files too.

Because the <src> element specifies the source directory(s) under which it
should look for the java source files; whereas, a classpath (which Java's
thing, not Ant's) can point to both directories within which class files
can be found, as well as archive files that it understands about, within

Re: Path, refid,

Posted by Gurdev Parmar <gp...@versant.com>.
Thanks Diane/Dominique to make some things clear to me.

Unless, a person gets such clarification from the user group
one does not know many things with just the ant user manual.
Like, the manual does not say that <fileset> inside <path> tag
can be used only for jar files and not source files. Or that path-like
elements are to be used only for directories.
I want to address this problem to the dev group as well. Sorry for
the bandwidth.

Secondly, I want to know why the ant developers thought that <src>
should be a path like element where we can specify only directories
and <classpath> can be a path like element which can take
jar files too. Why can't <src> be a path like structure which can
take source files too? What do I do when I want to define all the

Re: Path, refid,

Posted by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Path, refid,

Posted by Gurdev Parmar <gp...@versant.com>.
Thanks Diane,
But did you notice that I had used a <fileset> tag inside
path to describe a set of files?

This is the example that ant documentation gives, on the basis
of which I was working on:
<documentation>
A path-like structure can include a reference to another path-like structure
via nested <path> elements:

    <path id="base.path">
      <pathelement path="${classpath}"/>
      <fileset dir="lib">
        <include name="**/*.jar"/>
      </fileset>
      <pathelement location="classes"/>
    </path>
<project ... >
  <path id="project.class.path">
    <pathelement location="lib/"/>
    <pathelement path="${java.class.path}/"/>
    <pathelement path="${additional.path}"/>
  </path>

  <target ... >
    <rmic ...>
      <classpath refid="project.class.path"/>