Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/17 20:27:06 UTC

do we have/need a chart of module dependencies in 2.4, or some convention in each module's doc for showing that?

e.g., proxy-balancer needs slotmem-shm*

in 2.4 this is a lot less obvious than proxy-http needs proxy

*a more complex and correct explanation is certainly possible, but
down near the surface of the earth it needs to be clear that in
general you need to also load X in order to use Y

Re: do we have/need a chart of module dependencies in 2.4, or some convention in each module's doc for showing that?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Nov 17, 2011, at 3:27 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> I'm struggling with what exactly to declare for provider-type
> dependencies.  List the group, which links to a section of some
> provider overview page that shows the bundled implementers of that
> group?  Or just explicitly list the bundled modules?

I think, as an end-user, I want to see the entire list of modules that I have to have loaded to use this module. The exact hierarchy of dependence is useful information, but not the first thing I want to know when troubleshooting a module. Perhaps in the header a full list, and then in the Synopsis we have a diagram. I learned last week that doxygen autogenerates dependency graphs. Perhaps we can use something like that for the docs, too.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com :: @rbowen

Re: do we have/need a chart of module dependencies in 2.4, or some convention in each module's doc for showing that?

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2011, at 2:27 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
> e.g., proxy-balancer needs slotmem-shm*
>
> in 2.4 this is a lot less obvious than proxy-http needs proxy
>
> *a more complex and correct explanation is certainly possible, but
> down near the surface of the earth it needs to be clear that in
> general you need to also load X in order to use Y
>
> We do not. It would be really helpful to have that as an item in the
> standard module doc head along with Description and Status.

The dictionary entry for Dependency could explain the different types
of dependencies -- explicit module vs provider.

I'm struggling with what exactly to declare for provider-type
dependencies.  List the group, which links to a section of some
provider overview page that shows the bundled implementers of that
group?  Or just explicitly list the bundled modules?

> Are there cases
> where a diagram would be more useful than just listing dependencies?

It might save some time when planning a highly-customized build to
look at a table or chart or ???.  (better for the wiki perhaps)

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: do we have/need a chart of module dependencies in 2.4, or some convention in each module's doc for showing that?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Nov 17, 2011, at 2:27 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> e.g., proxy-balancer needs slotmem-shm*
>
> in 2.4 this is a lot less obvious than proxy-http needs proxy
>
> *a more complex and correct explanation is certainly possible, but
> down near the surface of the earth it needs to be clear that in
> general you need to also load X in order to use Y

We do not. It would be really helpful to have that as an item in the standard module doc head along with Description and Status. Are there cases where a diagram would be more useful than just listing dependencies?

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com :: @rbowen

Re: do we have/need a chart of module dependencies in 2.4, or some convention in each module's doc for showing that?

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 02:27:06PM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> e.g., proxy-balancer needs slotmem-shm*
>
> in 2.4 this is a lot less obvious than proxy-http needs proxy
>
> *a more complex and correct explanation is certainly possible, but
> down near the surface of the earth it needs to be clear that in
> general you need to also load X in order to use Y

I've not seen anything like that yet, but it makes a lot of sense to add
it to the module index and possibly to a summary section on each module
page.
This can probably end up as a huge annoyance for users if the error at
runtime (and build time also) isn't very clear on why modules fail to
load / build.

vh

Mads Toftum
--