Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Drew Varner <dr...@hotmail.com> on 2001/08/03 05:17:31 UTC

Volunteer -- JNDI-based Session Store

Hi,

I'd like to volunteer for the JNDI-based session store. I was basically
going to base it on org/apache/catalina/session/JDBCStore.java except
implement it with JNDI. I'd also develop the XML-based configuration system
and documentation.

I was thinking about sample configurations using FSContext, LDAP, and the
RMI Registry. For configurations I assumed we'd just use Strings since all
Properties I have seen to configure JNDI use Strings as the objects. Is this
a correct generalization?

<properties>
<property key="some value"
           value="some key" />
<propert key="another key"
          value="another value" />
</properties>

I think this would be nice because it would provide an easy mechanism for
sharing sessions behind a load-balancer without the overhead or cost of a
database. I am curious as to how RMI and LDAP will perform.

Is anybody working on this? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Drew

Re: Volunteer -- JNDI-based Session Store

Posted by Kief Morris <ki...@bitbull.com>.
Drew Varner typed the following on 03:17 AM 8/3/2001 +0000
>I'd like to volunteer for the JNDI-based session store.

Cool!

>I'd also develop the XML-based configuration system
>and documentation.
>
>I was thinking about sample configurations using FSContext, LDAP, and the
>RMI Registry. For configurations I assumed we'd just use Strings since all
>Properties I have seen to configure JNDI use Strings as the objects. Is this
>a correct generalization?

I don't think there's any need to do anything special with configuration. Catalina's
configuration is very flexible, you should just be able to add a Store tag with
properties that match property names on your JNDIStore class, and it will
automagically set them for you.

>Is anybody working on this? Any suggestions?

Nobody else has piped up, so I guess the ball is yours. There hasn't
been any work going on for the persistence or distributed sessions lately.

Kief