Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Robert Simonson <si...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/10/12 16:13:29 UTC

ErrorDocument and IE 5.0

Does anyone know how to override the IE 5.0 "Show friendly HTTP error
messages" setting?
Right now, if an ErrorDocument is set and the IE browser has the "friendly
messages" option set
the ErrorDocument does not show up on the browser.  IE does it's own thing.
Is there some
magic incantation that MS has to override this setting?

Thanks

Rob Simonson
simo@us.ibm.com

Re: ErrorDocument and IE 5.0

Posted by George Schlossnagle <ge...@mail.communityconnect.com>.
If you look at thttpd (www.acme.com), it creates it's error docs big enough
to overide the IE default.

hth,

george

Re: ErrorDocument and IE 5.0

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: ErrorDocument and IE 5.0

Posted by jlwpc1 <jl...@mail.earthlink.net>.

> On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Robert Simonson wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how to override the IE 5.0 "Show friendly HTTP error
> > messages" setting?

HowTo: Disable Internet Explorer 5
"Show Friendly HTTP Error Messages" Feature
on the Server Side

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q294/8/07.ASP

JLW

Re: ErrorDocument and IE 5.0

Posted by jo...@slive.ca.
On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Robert Simonson wrote:

> Does anyone know how to override the IE 5.0 "Show friendly HTTP error
> messages" setting?
> Right now, if an ErrorDocument is set and the IE browser has the "friendly
> messages" option set
> the ErrorDocument does not show up on the browser.  IE does it's own thing.
> Is there some
> magic incantation that MS has to override this setting?

MSIE uses a size threshold to determine whether it thinks your error
message is interesting enough to display.  To make sure that your message
is seen, just pad it with blanks to make it "big enough".

Joshua.