Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "RW>N" <s5...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/15 17:10:23 UTC

Partitioning

Hi,
I am new to Cassandra and am evaluating it.

Following diagram is how my setup will be: http://bit.ly/gJZlhw
Here each oval represents one data center. I want to keep N=4. i.e. four
copies of every Column Family. I want one copy in each data-center.  In
other words, COMPLETE database must be contained in each of the data
centers.

Question:
1. Is this possible ? If so, how do I configure (partitioner, replica etc) ?

Thanks

AJ

P.S excuse my multiple posting of the same. I am unable to subscribe for
some reason.

Re: Partitioning

Posted by A J <s5...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I read the same and it sounded weird.

*"Note that with RackAwareStrategy, succeeding nodes along the ring should
alternate data centers to avoid hot spots. For instance, if you have nodes
A, B, C, and D in increasing Token order, and instead of alternating you
place A and B in DC1, and C and D in DC2, then nodes C and A will have
disproportionately more data on them because they will be the replica
destination for every Token range in the other data center."*

I hope there is a way where the replica of 1st node of DC1 is 1st node of
DC2
replica of 2nd node of DC1 is 2nd node of DC2 and so on....

Also hope there is a way where replica of 1st node of Rack1in DC1 is 1st
node of Rack2DC1
replica of 2nd node of Rack1inDC1 is 2nd node of Rack2DC1 and so on.....

Please advise if this will not be possible.

Re: Partitioning

Re: Partitioning