Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/03 19:28:04 UTC

[math] Release 1.1 RC1 available for review

An initial release candidate for commons-math 1.1 is available for review here:
http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/commons-math/1-1-rc1/

Release notes, summarizing the changes from version 1.0, are here:
http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/commons-math/1-1-rc1/RELEASE-NOTES.txt

The updated web site is here:
http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/commons-math/1-1-rc1/site/

This is a maintenance release and should binary compatible with
version 1.0.  Details on API changes are here:
http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/commons-math/1-1-rc1/jdiff_report/changes.html
 (jdiff)
http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/commons-math/1-1-rc1/clirr-report.txt (clirr)

Please download the release, test it on your systems and provide
feedback to the commons-dev mailing list.

KNOWN ISSUES (to be fixed in RC2):
* Some missing @since tags (thanks to jdiff -- see
http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/commons-math/1-1-rc1/jdiff_report/missingSinces.txt
* Need to change the javadoc menu on the web site

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Re: [math] Release 1.1 RC1 available for review

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Sun, 2005-07-03 at 10:28 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> An initial release candidate for commons-math 1.1 is available for review here:
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/commons-math/1-1-rc1/
>
> Release notes, summarizing the changes from version 1.0, are here:
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/commons-math/1-1-rc1/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>
> The updated web site is here:
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/commons-math/1-1-rc1/site/
>
> This is a maintenance release and should binary compatible with
> version 1.0.  Details on API changes are here:
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/commons-math/1-1-rc1/jdiff_report/changes.html
>  (jdiff)
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/commons-math/1-1-rc1/clirr-report.txt (clirr)
>
> Please download the release, test it on your systems and provide
> feedback to the commons-dev mailing list.
>
> KNOWN ISSUES (to be fixed in RC2):
> * Some missing @since tags (thanks to jdiff -- see
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/commons-math/1-1-rc1/jdiff_report/missingSinces.txt

a little interesting, this. there is one school of thought that says the
since tags are only appropriate when it's a change to the API. so, you
create the first release and then add @since tags for all changes.

i think that now automated checking is available, it's probably best to
add since tags everywhere. above all, consistency.

> * Need to change the javadoc menu on the web site

otherwise all looks fine to me

- robert

Re: [math] Release 1.1 RC1 available for review

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2005-07-03 at 10:28 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> An initial release candidate for commons-math 1.1 is available for review here:
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/commons-math/1-1-rc1/
>
> Release notes, summarizing the changes from version 1.0, are here:
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/commons-math/1-1-rc1/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>
> The updated web site is here:
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/commons-math/1-1-rc1/site/
>
> This is a maintenance release and should binary compatible with
> version 1.0.  Details on API changes are here:
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/commons-math/1-1-rc1/jdiff_report/changes.html
>  (jdiff)
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/commons-math/1-1-rc1/clirr-report.txt (clirr)
>
> Please download the release, test it on your systems and provide
> feedback to the commons-dev mailing list.
>
> KNOWN ISSUES (to be fixed in RC2):
> * Some missing @since tags (thanks to jdiff -- see
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/commons-math/1-1-rc1/jdiff_report/missingSinces.txt
> * Need to change the javadoc menu on the web site
>
> Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Site looks good.
API changes all look good.

src distro builds/tests ok with java 1.3.1_14.

When building with java 1.5 I get this:
<output>
java:compile:
    [echo] Compiling
to /home/simon/downloads/commons-math/commons-math-1.1-RC1-src/target/classes
    [javac] Compiling 120 source files
to /home/simon/downloads/commons-math/commons-math-1.1-RC1-src/target/classes
javac: target release 1.3 conflicts with default source release 1.5
</output>

This can be fixed by setting the following in project.properties:
  maven.compile.source=1.3

Otherwise java 1.5 works fine.

Providing the above one-line fix is applied to project.properties, I'm
+1 on releasing this as commons-math 1.1.

Regards,

Simon