Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Jason Heo <ja...@gmail.com> on 2018/01/03 04:17:15 UTC

[Spark SQL] How to run a custom meta query for `ANALYZE TABLE`

Hi,

I'm working on integrating Spark and a custom data source.

Most things go well with nice Spark Data Source APIs (Thanks to well
designed APIs)

But, one thing I couldn't resolve is that how to execute custom meta query
for `ANALYZE TABLE`

The custom data source I'm currently working on has a meta query so we can
get MIN/MAX/Cardinality without full scan.

What I want to do is that when `ANALYZE TABLE` is executed over the custom
data source then execute custom meta query rather than executing Full
Scanning.

If this is not possible, I'm considering inserting stats into metastore_db
manually. Is there any API exposed to handle metastore_db (e.g.
insert/delete meta db)?

Regards,

Jason

Re: [Spark SQL] How to run a custom meta query for `ANALYZE TABLE`

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

No this is not possible with the current data source API. However, there is a new data source API v2 on its way - maybe it will support it.

Alternatively, you can have a config option to calculate meta data after an insert.

However, could you please explain more for which dB your datasource is and when this meta query should be executed ?