Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Riyaz Mansoor <rm...@yahoo.com> on 2003/05/18 11:26:28 UTC

struts in shared/lib ?

hi

i've been trying to put struts in the tomcat/shared/lib folder. i've read
the cautionary notes included in the struts documentation. i've abstracted
my application so that all the actions and forms are in the shared/lib
folder.

however, the application still refuses to load. if i copy all the struts
jars to the webapp/lib folder and leave all my classes in the shared folder
it works fine. which leads me to believe that the dependency is in Struts,
not my classes.

the root cause i get is:

----- Root Cause -----
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/beanutils/Converter

there is NO classes to load in the webapps directory

can the ActionServlet located in shared/lib read the struts-config.xml file?
i would have thought that static resources located on the webapp folder can
be read without any problems. is this the problem? what else could it be?

for those of u who are concerned about why i'm doing this is; i'm building
multiple applications of _similar_ behavior with different security
restrictions. of course the applications present different forms and all
which are read from static xml config files in the webapp folder.

riyaz

Re: struts in shared/lib ?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Sun, 18 May 2003, Riyaz Mansoor wrote:

> Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 14:26:28 +0500
> From: Riyaz Mansoor <rm...@yahoo.com>
> To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: struts in shared/lib ?
>

> hi
>
> i've been trying to put struts in the tomcat/shared/lib folder. i've read
> the cautionary notes included in the struts documentation. i've abstracted
> my application so that all the actions and forms are in the shared/lib
> folder.

For Struts 1.1, as the notes tell you, this is an unsupported installation
approach.  If you want to help us FIND the bugs, and you can provide
patches for them, feel free ... there are likely to be remaining bugs in
Struts plus issues in the Commons libraries that it depends on.  But it
seems unlikely that you're going to be able to get much help from anyone
who is not also trying to locate and fix the outstanding issues.

Craig