Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Turner, John" <JT...@AAS.com> on 2002/09/27 17:49:34 UTC

How many people are using 4.1.12 successfully?

Hello -

We're almost ready to deploy a new app.  We have been using 4.0.4 in
development.

I need to get an idea of how stable 4.1.12 is...based on the traffic in the
last week, 4.1.12 looks to be fairly unstable, regardless of its 'release'
designation.

Should we stick with 4.0.4, or take the plunge with 4.1.12?  We will be
using Apache with a connector in addition to Tomcat.

- John

Re: How many people are using 4.1.12 successfully?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Glenn Nielsen wrote:
> The discussion regarding Tomcat 4.1.12 was not related to its stability.
> I have been using Tomcat 4.1.x in production for over 6 months
> (but still with Jasper1), and recently upgraded to Jasper 2.
>
> IMHO, Tomcat 4.1.x is a much better container for production than 4.0.x.
>
> All of the issues raised were about some minor differences in behaviour.

So far I agree. I believe most differences are motivated by the attempt
at making Tomcat more secure and reliable. There were a few gotchas in
4.1.10, though (with Jasper bugs, and with Windows compatibility).

> Not about stability. Tomcat 4.1.x has been rock solid for me in production
> on a site that heavily uses JSP pages and has >500k page views per month.
>
> Install and test your app in Tomcat 4.1.12. Your app and config may not
> even notice the difference, or at most there may be a couple of issues
> to resolve.
>
> And if you use JSP with custom tags Jasper2 can really improve performance.

Hopefully you'll put 4.1.x on your higher volume sites and/or use it in
standalone mode so that we see how it behaves.

Remy

Re: How many people are using 4.1.12 successfully?

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
The discussion regarding Tomcat 4.1.12 was not related to its stability.
I have been using Tomcat 4.1.x in production for over 6 months
(but still with Jasper1), and recently upgraded to Jasper 2.

IMHO, Tomcat 4.1.x is a much better container for production than 4.0.x.

All of the issues raised were about some minor differences in behaviour.
Not about stability. Tomcat 4.1.x has been rock solid for me in production
on a site that heavily uses JSP pages and has >500k page views per month.

Install and test your app in Tomcat 4.1.12. Your app and config may not
even notice the difference, or at most there may be a couple of issues
to resolve.

And if you use JSP with custom tags Jasper2 can really improve performance.

Regards,

Glenn

Posted by Adam Greene <ag...@romulin.com>.
Well, I've been noticing some "irregularities" in the way Tomcat 4.1.12
works.  First off, I had to change my Resource paths from
"/com/whatever/file.ext" to "com/whatever/file.ext".  I have had it refuse
to recognize jar files placed in the common/lib directory.  and other minor
problems.  So I would suggest caution on deployment.

We're almost ready to deploy a new app.  We have been using 4.0.4 in
development.

I need to get an idea of how stable 4.1.12 is...based on the traffic in the
last week, 4.1.12 looks to be fairly unstable, regardless of its 'release'
designation.

Should we stick with 4.0.4, or take the plunge with 4.1.12?  We will be
using Apache with a connector in addition to Tomcat.

- John

For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

RE: How many people are using 4.1.12 successfully?

Posted by David Wynter <da...@roamware.com>.
Hi,

Well your observation about 4.1.12 worries me. I had a working application
using a Turbine app on apache 1.3.23 and Tomcat 4.0.4, but it had a >1
minute time to load the first page because of a IllegalStateException. No
one had an explanation and suggested a Tomcat upgrade so I went for the
latest 4.1.12 with 1.3.23 but could not build the connectors because I did
not have apxs. So I went to 2.0.42 and now cannot get them to work together
and we have been off line for 2 days.

So the nightmare continues. 4.0.4 has a security issue and if I go for 4.0.5
maybe that does not solve my IllegalStateException problem? What to do?

David