Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by lebenski <be...@gamesys.co.uk> on 2010/01/04 11:07:23 UTC

[T5.0.18] @InjectedPage does not have access to it's own layout

I have a layout component that contains a login form:

<t:form t:id="loginForm">
	<t:textfield t:id="loginUsernameField" t:value="memberName" height="30"/>
	<t:passwordfield t:id="loginPasswordField" t:value="password" />
	<t:submit id="loginSubmit" value="message:login"/>
</t:form>

Page Class:

Object onSuccessFromLoginForm() {
	try{
            loggedInMember = loginManager.logUserIn(new Login(memberName,
password));
        } catch(LoginException e) {
            //Login Error Processing
        }

        return Index.class;
}

I also have a generic confirmation page which I use for page flows where I
need to present some message to the user.  For example "Thanks for
submitting a question"

SubmitQuestion.java

@InjectPage
private Confirmation confirmation;

Object onSuccessFromQuestionForm() {
	//processing
	confirmation.setType(ConfirmationType.SUCCESS);
	confirmation.setMessage(Messages.get("question-submit"));

	return confirmation;
}

The confirmation template itself is inside the layout:

<t:layout xmlns:t="http://tapestry.apache.org/schema/tapestry_5_1_0.xsd">
	${type}<br/>
	${message}
</t:layout>

However, for some reason I don't seem to have access to the layout from this
confirmation page.  If I try to use the login form, the Index page is loaded
but the user is not logged in.  In fact as far as I can see (through
debugging), the onSuccessFromLoginForm() method in the Layout is never
called.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to why this is happening, as this is working on
all other pages in my application.  Is there some specific nuance of using
@InjectPage that could be causing this issue?

Re: [T5.0.18] @InjectedPage does not have access to it's own layout

Posted by lebenski <be...@gamesys.co.uk>.
Hi,

Sorry I've been away for a few days hence the lack of reply.  Inge, I tried
to explain my problem carefully and precisely as Igor indicated that he
didn't understand it.  Of course my problem doesn't make sense, if it made
sense I could solve it and it wouldn't be a problem!  Feel free to hit me
with some obvious questions...

I have tried all sorts of event handlers including onSuccess in the layout
and inside the confirmation component, it simply never gets called whatever
I choose.

My original reason for posting was to see if there was a recognised
issue/limitation in this area (injecting pages) that I was not aware of.
Judging by the reactions i've had there is not.  I still have no solution
but when I find out what my problem was i'll make sure to check back.

Cheers,
Ben.

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@scazdl.org>.
No way to find out the triggering component that I'm aware of.

Incidentally, the original poster is incorrect regarding changing
onSuccessFromXXX to onSuccess.  In T5, events only ever bubble up,
never back down.  So it's true that onSuccess within the layout
component will handle any forms contained in the layout component or
it's subcomponent.  But it won't handle any events contained in the
pages thaht include layout, or any of those sub-components.  This is
probably easiest to understand with an example:

Page.tml:
   <t:layout>
        <t:form t:id="pageform">
        </t:form>
   	<t:customcomponent t:id="pagecustom"/>
   </t:layout>

layout.tml:
<t:container xmlns:t="http://tapestry.apache.org/schema/tapestry_5_1_0.xsd
">
     <t:form t:id="layoutform">
     </t:form>
     <t:customcomponent t:id="layoutcustom"/>
</t:container>

customcomponent.tml:
<t:container xmlns:t="http://tapestry.apache.org/schema/tapestry_5_1_0.xsd
">
     <t:form t:id="customform">
     </t:form>
</t:container>

layout.java:
   public void onSuccess() {
	System.out.pritnln("Layout handled a form submission");
   }

So, when will we see "Layout handled a form submission" printed to the
console?
* We will see it when the layoutform is submitted; in this case, the
originating event will be from layoutform.
* We will also see it when the customform in customcomponent that is
included in layout.tml (layoutcustom) is submitted.  In this case, the
originating event as layout sees it will be layoutcustom, so for a
specific handler, you would have onSuccessFromLayoutcustom.
* We will NOT see it when pageform is submitted.
* We will NOT see it when customform, included via the customcomponent
on the page (pagecustom) is submitted.  The reason is because the
container of pagecustom isn't layout, it's Page.
So assuming your layout only has the single login form, you can just
as well right onSuccess as you can onSuccessFromXYZ.

This behavior is critical for ensuring that components can be dropped
into any page and "Just Work".  Imagine if you used a third party
component on your page and suddenly your forms stopped working!

Anyway, hth.  Btw, Inge is right... modify your code slowly and find
out when it starts working.  You'll find the solution to your problem
faster that way. :)

Robert

Posted by Inge Solvoll <in...@gmail.com>.

Posted by lebenski <be...@gamesys.co.uk>.

Posted by Inge Solvoll <in...@gmail.com>.

Posted by lebenski <be...@gamesys.co.uk>.

Posted by Inge Solvoll <in...@gmail.com>.

Posted by lebenski <be...@gamesys.co.uk>.
Hi Igor,

Posted by lebenski <be...@gamesys.co.uk>.
Thanks for your reply Howard.  Are you suggesting that I need to add this
onSuccess method to my confirmation page as well as keeping it in the
layout?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
When an event bubbles up, the origin of the event changes.

Initially, the success event occurs from the form inside the layout component.

If the event is not handled there, it becomes a success event *from
the layout component* (at the page).

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: [T5.0.18] @InjectedPage does not have access to it's own layout

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: Spring Security with T5RESTful Services

Posted by lebenski <be...@gamesys.co.uk>.
Think you might've put this in the wrong place Jim!  I assume you mean't to
start a new thread?

Posted by Jim O'Callaghan <jc...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Has anyone got Spring Security annotations (@Secured("ROLE_XYZ") etc.)
working with the restful web services implementation
http://code.google.com/p/t5-restful-webservices - I'd rather not alter the
source if someone already has a workaround (ordering filters?) would love to
hear from you - thanks.

Regards,
Jim.