Posted to user@commons.apache.org by simon <sk...@apache.org> on 2007/08/19 14:36:01 UTC

Re: [codec] Base 64 encoding in Jakarta commons

On Sat, 2007-08-18 at 19:33 -0500, ying lcs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know Jakarta commons has a Base 64 encoding.  But does it supports a
> 'modified Base64 for URL'?
>
> >From here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base64
>
> For this reason, a modified Base64 for URL variant exists, where no
> padding '=' will be used, and the '+' and '/' characters of standard
> Base64 are respectively replaced by '*' and '-', so that using URL
> encoders/decoders is no longer necessary and has no impact on the
> length of the encoded value, leaving the same encoded form intact for
> use in relational databases, web forms, and object identifiers in gen

This email is about the [codec] library within commons, so it needs to
have that in the subject line (I've fixed the subject for this reply).

I see that codec has the BCodec class that takes an arbitrary charset
string as constructor. The javadoc isn't very clear here, but I presume
this is the set of chars that input is mapped into. In this case, I
presume the url-safe version can be implemented simply by passing the
right string here.

If BCodec doesn't work for this, then it sounds like a good idea to
extend codec somehow to support these url-safe encodings.

Regards,

Simon