Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu> on 2019/04/21 07:01:25 UTC

PRs/Commits without valid author information

Hello all,

the first PR from an external author was merged, that I would have
plainly rejected.

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans-html4j/pull/17

The most important reason is the missing author information. I don't
know who bd2019us is, but neigther his/er email adress, nor the name
convey any real name information.

While the above PR is trivial in its nature and obvisouly correct, I
propose not to merge anymore PRs without valid author credits. It was
established, that we can merge PRs from non-committers, if we can
assume, that the change is either trivial or the author donated the
code.

The other reason ist, that the author also does not react to replies
and thus I don't see any option to improve the situation, other than
just rejecting his/her PRs.

As a final point: Please all check your author credentials, that they
are containing a valid real name part and a working email address.

Greetings

Matthias

Re: PRs/Commits without valid author information

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matthias,

I agree to this.  To help others not merge the PR's by mistake, I've added
2 labels to those 3 PRs, do-not-merge and author-details-needed.

Regards

John

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Well, I don't know if it's that strict... :-)

Gj

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
By merging the PR I am now responsible for the code. That is how it works in
Apache, right?

HTML/Java API doesn't get many PRs, I was glad to found this one.

I know nothing about bd2019us either, but the code change was trivial, so I