Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dolo <do...@yahoo.es> on 2003/03/17 13:05:22 UTC

IIS and Tomcat

Hi!
I have Tomcat 3.3 installed. IIS passes all JSP calls on to Tomcat. The
problem is that I have a servlet in Tomcat, and when it´s called from some
JSP in IIS, the session is lost. I guess this happens because JSP .class
files and servlet .class files don´t belong to the same webapp. Is there a
way to make JSP from IIS and servlets from Tomcat share the same webapp?
Something like making Tomcat save the .class generated as a result of the
JSP files in the same folder as the .class from the servlets.
I would be really grateful to receive any information about this issue. I
have spent the last 2 days looking for information everywhere, a lot of
people seem to have the same problem, but no solution is given. Thanks in
advance.
Dolores

RE: IIS and Tomcat

Posted by James Lewis <ja...@goodtechnology.com>.
Hi,

Umm, I think I'm correct in saying that saving .class files from one to the
other will have no effect whatsoever. JSP _are_ servlets once they are
compiled.

You have a different and unrelated problem. Namely passing session
information between entirely unrelated webapps. Traditionally you would look
at using cookies to do this sort of session persistence. You may be able to
use a low level firewall to do this. In any case I'm fairly sure that in
order to implement this sort of funtionality you are going to be either:
a) Writing custom code that can persist the information you need in a db
between calls.
b) Serializing the objects.
c) Using cookies.

I had a similar problem to this (communication between different webapps)
and found the easiest solution to be a database driven one (they often are
in my opinion :P)

Maybe someone else can suggest alternatives?

james

James Lewis
Java Developer
www.goodtechnology.com