Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> on 2021/09/12 16:48:15 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Add "new version available" indicator to UI/CLI ?

Hello - anyone else thinks this might be useful ?

J.

Posted by Juan Pablo Salado García <jp...@gmail.com>.
Hi, my thoughts on that:

1) Should we do it at all?
I think this gives value to the product, so yes.

2) Should it be in both UI and CLI?
For the UI 100%, for the CLI I'm not so confident (~80%), as people who
manage the CLI might be more aware of updates already.
I attached a picture below on how it could be shown in the UI (pgadmin has
sth similar)
On the other hand, throwing another line with a noticeable color in the CLI
when running the scheduler or the web server could be an easy way to remind
people of updates.

3) How "annoying" and "how often" should it be shown ? Should you be able
to dismiss it? For some time maybe ? Till next release?
+1 to what Tomasz said about hinting once per release update.

4) In the UI - should it be visible to all users or just Admins in the UI?
Just admins.

5) Should it be "per user" or "per installation" warning UI (dismissible
for everyone or per each user individually)?
Per admin user.

6) Should it be possible to disable it altogether ? How difficult should it
be? Just a config param or maybe you'd need to write a custom handler to
disable it?
Just a config flag could be enough.

7) Should it be "customizable" (a bit connected to the above) should you be
able to write a custom handler to decide and display your own upgrade
information. Note - this might be great for managed services like
Astronomer. MWAA, Composer as they could just plug-in their internal
versions check rather than modifying the UI of Airflow and pass their own
message/links to upgrade docs etc..
It's a great idea, but I would not prioritize this.

Extra: This is a screenshot from pgadmin, they have sth similar to what you
propose.
[image: pgadmin_ui.PNG]