Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Uzma Khawaja <so...@yahoo.com> on 2008/02/25 21:35:49 UTC

Open Source Process

Hi,
 I am a student and doing a research on open source processes. I would be thankful if some one can answer few simple questions to help me in my research.

1. If someone wants to work on a feature or bug, is he/she required to get permission before working? Is he/she REQUIRED to join the community?

2. What tools do you use to manage the project (to track the progress, assigning tasks, manage the features and bugs, maintaining patches etc).

Regards,
Uzma Hameed
MS(SE) 3/4,
International Islamic University, Islamabad

---------------------------------

Re: Open Source Process

Posted by Andrei Tchijov <an...@tchijov.com>.
On Feb 25, 2008, at 15:35 , Uzma Khawaja wrote:

> Hi,
> I am a student and doing a research on open source processes. I
> would be thankful if some one can answer few simple questions to
> help me in my research.
>
> 1. If someone wants to work on a feature or bug, is he/she required
> to get permission before working? Is he/she REQUIRED to join the
> community?

Depend. Any one can submit bug/feature to the project.  Some of these
submissions will end-up in the source code.  To be able actually check-
in your changes you need to be one of "commiters".  You need to be
well known in the community to get to be a "commiter".

> 2. What tools do you use to manage the project (to track the
> progress, assigning tasks, manage the features and bugs, maintaining
> patches etc).

Different open source projects are using different tools. Usually you
can see what tool used by visiting project home page (interesting ...
I have looked at tomcat home page and have not found any references to
tool used by the project. I am positive that at some point in the past
they used to have some. ). Some of popular tools are Maven (http://maven.apache.org/)/Bugzilla(http://www.bugzilla.org/)/Trac
  (http://trac.edgewall.org/) .... Do not forget about web sites like
Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/) and Google Code (http://code.google.com/
) which provide all-in-one support for open source projects.

Re: Open Source Process

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Uzma Khawaja wrote:
> Hi,
> 1. If someone wants to work on a feature or bug, is he/she required to get permission before working? Is he/she REQUIRED to join the community?
No permission required. By very virtue of downloading the software and
working on the bug they have joined the community. It would help if they
joined the dev and users list but isn't essential.

> 2. What tools do you use to manage the project (to
track the progress
text files in svn, bugzilla

assigning tasks
Tasks aren't assigned. People work on what they want to

manage the features and bugs
text files in svn (features), bugzilla (a few features, mainly bugs)

maintaining patches etc
Not sure what you mean by this. We don't maintain patches - we do a new
release. We use Apache Ant to build.

HTH,

Mark