Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Wendell Beckwith <wb...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/09 00:24:59 UTC

Eclipse/OSGi and Maven 2

I recently raised from the dead the previous talk about mavenizing the
development of eclipse (or rather OSGi bundles) plugins,  The thread can be
seen here, http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/pde-build-dev/maillist.html.
My question for the devs is that if we need to modify m2's dependency
resolution where do we start?  Brett previously mentioned,
http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/pde-build-dev/msg00075.html, that maven
might be configured with an alternate resolver.  Has this happened or are we
breaking new ground here?

Wb

Re: Eclipse/OSGi and Maven 2

Posted by Rinku <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi ,

You might want to have a look at Buckminster project under Eclipse as
well as raise this on their lists/newsgroup.

cheers,
Rahul

Re: Eclipse/OSGi and Maven 2

Posted by Wendell Beckwith <wb...@gmail.com>.
Does maven currently support or can be extend to support the notion of
Repository Groups?

Background on why this would be needed:

To properly deal with OSGi bundles, you really need a set of bundles you
will compile against.  If you take an eclipse install for example there
could be 130+ osgi bundles in the eclipse/plugins folder.  The eclipse
compiler needs to be told the target, eclipse install, it will use for
resolving dependencies.  If the bundle you are compiling calls out a
dependency on version 3.2.0 of the org.eclipse.core.runtime bundle then
resolution is easy as the compiler plugin simply needs to see if it has the
org.eclipse.core.runtime plugin with that version in its bundle map.
However if the bundle you are compiling instead uses a package import
dependency (i.e. org.apache.commons.logging) then the compiler need to
review all of the bundles that export java packages and chose the best match
for which bundle it will add to the classpath for compilation.

When targeting an eclipse install on the filesystem then this can work with
changing/extending maven however installing and deploying still need work.
If instead maven had the notion of Repository Groups then a repo group "
org.eclipse.platform-3.2" could be specified and this group would have
pointers, symlinks, etc to the component artifacts in the group which may be
in 1 or more repos.  Repo groups would allow users to essentially define
their own software stacks such as "spring-webapp-2.0" as a repo group and
adding this dependency to your pom would transitively resolved when the
group was resolved and add spring-2.0, commons-logging-1.1, log4j-1.2.13 and
hibernate-3.1.3 to the classpath for the project.

Wb

Re: Eclipse/OSGi and Maven 2

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Eclipse/OSGi and Maven 2