Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Warhurst, SI (Spencer) " <S....@rl.ac.uk> on 2003/02/19 13:44:31 UTC

[users@httpd] Aliases

Good <insert appropriate period of day here>

I have an issue with aliases and wonder if it's just me not reading
something properly. That is, I have a scenario where I create a series of
aliases of the following nature:

Now, as you can see, it's not a major change.. just sometihng to make it
that little bit more convenient/neater for our users when they visit a
mailing list's archive homepage.

The problem comes in when setting up these aliases. I end up having to have
4 aliases for each list, as follows:

Alias /mailinglistname "d:/www/lists/mailinglistname.html"
Alias /mailinglistname/ "d:/www/lists/mailinglistname.html"
Alias /MAILINGLISTNAME "d:/www/lists/mailinglistname.html"
Alias /MAILINGLISTNAME/ "d:/www/lists/mailinglistname.html"

The logic here is that some people insist on putting trailing slashes after
URLs and some people copy/paste the mailing list name from a web page where
the name is in upper case.

However, it seems daft and impractical to have to specify 4 alias lines,
especially when you host 4300 mailing lists like we do!

Am I doing this right? Should I simply be educating users not to put in
trailing slashes and always put the mailing list name in lower case? Or
should my questions be directed at Apache itself.. ie: why is an alias case
sensitive when the rest of the URL isn't (usernames/passwords excepted)? Why
in this day and age should it matter if you type a trailing slash or not?

TIA

Spencer