Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Christian Kölle <ko...@gmx.de> on 2006/11/29 23:46:02 UTC

[M2] [packaging] Maven reacts undeterministically ;-) For today my story is this...

Hello,

thanks for Maven! All of you, but It really brings me down all the time. I
am wasting days by days. I don't really understand how it works.
Nevertheless, I won't give up.

Unresolve problem today:
If i do "mvn install" on the sub-module-project which is my Webclient
(i.e.packging = war, servlet-alike project), maven allways puts a library
into my war-file that is neiter defined in the sub-module's pom as
'dependency', nor in the parent-pom's dependency-management area. Same
happens, if I run "mvn install" on the parent-project (, which generates all
deployment-units of the submodules).

Situation:
Multi-module-project with M2
I consider myself as Maven User, not Maven Developer.
I am a lonesome M2 user at work, I only use a local repository on my
machines for my stuff.

My efforts for today:
To solve the problem I have looked into every manifest of the 20
dependendies I use. No manifest references the library I don't want to have.
-- So, I thought, well, lets generate a dependency-report: It might indicate
where the problem might be. -- So I ran "mvn site" on the submodule to get a
dependency report. Without success. It fails because of a checkstyle error.
-- I thought no problem ;-) I removed the checkstyle report in the
sub-module's pom, as well as in the main-project-pom. -- I ran "mvn clean"
"mvn install" and "mvn site" but it still fails because of checkstyle,
althought there is no checkstyle at any pom. Finally I got the mvn:site
running on the main-pom, which generated a dependency report on the
submodule-poms either. -That's luck -  But it does not list the library I do
not want to have, it is just portraying what's defined in the poms. For
today I am asking myself, where the heck does the library I reference
nowhere come from? Any ideas where to look at without grep?

Postnotes:
You might ask. Why do you care for libraries in your deployment-unit, as
long as your application is running? Good question! I was using "mvn
jetty6:run" to develop my webclient. That's so cool and so fast to work
with! Unfortualy the generated war-file comes with runtime-error, if
deployed into Tomcat 5.5.9, Tomcat 5.5.15, Geronimo 1.1.1(with TC) and JBoss
4.0.3 SP1 (with TC). I thought it was a good idea to look at my dependencies
first.

Regards
Chris

Re: [M2] [packaging] Maven reacts undeterministically ;-) For today my story is this...

Posted by franz see <fr...@gmail.com>.
Good day to you, Christian,

To quickly access the dependency tree report, use
project-info-reports:dependencies instead. it will create a
target\site\dependencies.html. If that doesn't help, then, use -X.

Anyway, i guess the problem was caused by running something like war:inplace
or something during development. you may want to configure your
maven-clean-plugin as well to take care of those.

Cheers,
Franz

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.