Posted to dev@metamodel.apache.org by Ankit Kumar <ak...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/30 15:20:01 UTC

Discuss detailed steps needed for MetaModel release

Hi All,

In this thread we would like to discuss detailed steps still needed to
perform the first MetaModel release.

Stuff done so far : -
1. Set the right versions 4.0.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT in poms.
2. Prepared the signing key.
3. Fixed the Apache RAT failures.
4. JIRA ticket for Nexus access created.
5. Compared the pom with Apache Blur. - Differences found mainly in
distributionManagement and repositories section.

We still need the following: -
1. Verify that the distributionManagement node in pom.xml is pointing to
the right repository/snapshot repository.
2. Correct access is available to the release engineer performing release.
3. Infra ticket to set svn pubsub for publishing release artifacts.
4. More.....

@All, please add to the list.

~Ankit

Re: Discuss detailed steps needed for MetaModel release

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Yes, we could start building create branches and start creating RC
candidates for the release =)

- Henry

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Here is the sample you can use:

"
Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Metamodel
(incubating) version 4.0.0.
This will be the first incubator release for MetaModel project in Apache.

The tag to be voted on is v4.0.0-incubating :
https://github.com/apache/incubator-metamodel/releases/tag/v4.0.0-incubating

The release files, including signatures, digests, etc can be found at:
http://people.apache.org/~<YOUR APACHE  ID>/metamodel-4.0.0-incubating-rc1/

https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/<YOUR APACHE ID>.asc

<STAGING REPO URL>

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache MetaModel 4.0.0-incubating.
The vote is open until < DATE AND TIME FOR THE NEXT 72 hours> and
passes if a majority of at least 3 IPMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache MetaModel 4.0.0-incubating
"

- Henry

Posted by Ankit Kumar <ak...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Kasper Sørensen <i....@gmail.com>.
Any news on this Ankit?

Posted by Kasper Sørensen <i....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ankit Kumar <ak...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ankit,

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Cool!

Posted by Ankit Kumar <ak...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arvind Prabhakar <ar...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Take a look at this

Posted by Ankit Kumar <ak...@gmail.com>.
Hi Henry,

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kasper,

Posted by Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 8:04 AM, Kasper Sørensen <
i.am.kasper.sorensen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I think this is starting to really taking too long, and Ankit and I are not
> that experienced in the Apache INFRA and it feels like we're just wasting
> time on small technicalities. Are there any experienced Apache mentors or
> RE's that would be able to spend like 20 minutes in a conference call with
> either of us to guide us through it...? Would that be a way forward to get
> the first release out?

IMHO, a conference call is probably not the right place to start.  It is
important that we discuss issues on the mailing list so that everyone can
participate and we have a record of how we overcame specific challenges.

Instead, why don't you create a bulleted list of all the current issues and
what questions you have.  If after reviewing that, we still think a call is
necessary, we can have one and then bring the results back to the list.

We should also be creating our own release management documentation with
all of the metamodel specific nuances.

Posted by Kasper Sørensen <i....@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

Posted by Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ankit Kumar <ak...@gmail.com>.
Hi Henry,

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ankit Kumar <ak...@gmail.com>.
Hi Henry,

Posted by Kasper Sørensen <i....@gmail.com>.
Hi Henry,

Posted by Kasper Sørensen <i....@gmail.com>.
Might be I'm just slow and all ... But before now I did not realize I could
log in with SSH to people.apache.org ... Totally blew my mind and I feel

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ankit Kumar <ak...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kasper Sørensen <i....@gmail.com>.
Great stuff :-)

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kasper Sørensen <i....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Just filed

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for driving this Ankit, looks like you are the official release
engineer (RE) for the first MetaModel release under ASF, congrats =)

I have filed JIRA ticket to create Nexus Maven staging repo for us:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-6792 (thats no 4 in your
done list)
Next stop is to file ticket for svn pubsub for publishing dist
artifact, I will do it (no 3 on your TODO list)

Looks like no1 in your TODO looks good, anyone else wants to verify
please do so.

Ankit, could you create umbrella ticket (or epic) in our JIRA to track
the release process for MetaModel 4.0.0-incubating release?

This is actually shaping up good =)