Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/09 14:01:01 UTC

[JCS] Build and test issues

I had to update the JCS build to 1.6 on Continuum

It then ran, but the test was still running after 35 mins so I killed it
Unfortunately the log appears to have been killed as well and has
disappeared, but AFAIR it was doing some kind of UDP? Discovery?

I have now changed the CI build to skip tests, and it fails with
"assembly descriptor not found".

I may find time to fix this, but thought I'd better let the list know anyway.

Re: [JCS] Build and test issues

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 10 January 2014 17:24, Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> On 09.01.14 14:01, sebb wrote:
>> I had to update the JCS build to 1.6 on Continuum
> Thanks for fixing this. How would I get access to the build settings to
> maintain this myself next time?

You'll need to create a Continuum login and be granted the appropriate karma.
Probably need to contact Infra or the builds@a.o list for that.
Warning: the GUI is not at all easy to use; it's very easy to
accidentally change the shared build profile.

>> It then ran, but the test was still running after 35 mins so I killed it
>> Unfortunately the log appears to have been killed as well and has
>> disappeared, but AFAIR it was doing some kind of UDP? Discovery?
> The build runs a quite comprehensive set of tests (406 IIRC). This may
> take a while. There *are* some tests that involve TCP and UDP
> connections. Is there any problem with that in the Continuum
> environment? Gump used to work.

No idea why the build should hang on Continuum and not on Gump.
However it may be related to the recent rebuild which increased security on it.
That would be a question for builds@a.o

Would probably be worth adding timeouts to the network tests so that
the build does not hang.
If Continuum has a problem running these tests, it's possible that
other environments will too - or could start to hang if their config
is changed.
If the tests were timeout-protected this would not be a major issue.

>> I have now changed the CI build to skip tests, and it fails with
>> "assembly descriptor not found".
>>
>> I may find time to fix this, but thought I'd better let the list know anyway.
>
> The call to the assembly plugin is situated in the "apache-release"
> profile, not in "release". Could that be it? I wanted to avoid the
> all-in-source-package that the Apache parent POM creates.

The CP "release" profile is specifically intended to be a replacement
for the "apache-release" profile - which is not entirely suitable.

Maybe the JCS pom needs tweaking to fit in with the CP profile.
Or maybe the CP profile needs tweaking for multi-module builds - there
are few such in Commons so it's possible the profile is not quite
correct yet.

I think the network tests need to have timeouts.
There may be other hosts with configs that cause them to hang.
At the very least this would show all the tests which are a problem -
at present one can only detect the first hang.
BTW, killing the test seems to lose the log as well, so may sure to
save it first!

Re: [JCS] Build and test issues

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Hi Sebastian,