Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by T Reaves <tr...@silverfieldstech.com> on 2005/04/18 17:50:18 UTC

Getting started docs?

     Do these exist?  I've been all over the wiki and main site, and
see several things that purport to be tutorials and such, but none of
them actually seem to contain any information.

     If I'm interested in evaluating Lenya, I've downloaded and
deployed, now what?  Do I really need to perform the steps outlined
http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/NewPublicationHowTo ?  There is a new
pub link in the default setup, but it just throws exceptions (posted
separately).

     Is there a step-by-step tutorial of getting up and running with
1.4?

Re: Getting started docs?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
T Reaves wrote:
>     Do these exist?  I've been all over the wiki and main site, and  see
> several things that purport to be tutorials and such, but none of  them
> actually seem to contain any information.

To get started, I recommend these pages:

http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/introduction.html
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/overview.html
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/concepts/index.html

Once you're familiar with Cocoon, it will be much easier to
get into Lenya.

>     If I'm interested in evaluating Lenya, I've downloaded and
> deployed, now what?  Do I really need to perform the steps outlined
> http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/NewPublicationHowTo ?

Yes.

>  There is a new  pub
> link in the default setup, but it just throws exceptions (posted
> separately).
>
>     Is there a step-by-step tutorial of getting up and running with  1.4?

Please use 1.2, otherwise you'll have to deal with changes and problems
in the beginning.

-- Andreas

Re: Getting started docs?

Posted by "J. Wolfgang Kaltz" <jw...@apache.org>.
T Reaves schrieb:
>     Do these exist?  I've been all over the wiki and main site, and  see
> several things that purport to be tutorials and such, but none of  them
> actually seem to contain any information.
>
>     If I'm interested in evaluating Lenya, I've downloaded and
> deployed, now what?

Did you check out the tutorial in the default publication ? Meaning,
once you started Lenya, and went to http://127.0.0.1:8888/index.html (or
wherever you installed it)

The tutorial in the default publication is indeed only a short
introduction (as advertised), but a good starting point.

> (...)
>     Is there a step-by-step tutorial of getting up and running with  1.4?

I recommend you stick with 1.2 for now, 1.4 is still unstable.

Wolfgang

RE: Getting started docs?

Posted by Bart van Dijk <Ba...@Unilever.com>.
I'm afraid they do not exist. I've started working with a few weeks ago and
I had the same problem. You may want to go to
http://redarrow.textdrive.com/archives. I found these articles very useful
as they aren't as abstract as the Lenya documentation.

i guess you should start playing with the default publication and see if you
can manage to change things...

good luck :)