Posted to dev@nutch.apache.org by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com> on 2010/11/06 20:03:22 UTC

Charset detection algorithm

Hi all,

See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-539 for a Tika issue
I'm currently working on, which has to do with the charset detection
algorithm.

There's the HTML5 proposal, where the priority is

- charset from Content-Type response header
- charset from HTML <meta http-equiv content-type> element
- charset detected from page contents

Reinhard Schwab proposed a variation on the HTML5 approach, which
makes sense to me; in my web crawling experience, too many servers lie
to just blindly trust the response header contents.

I've got a slight modification to Reinhard's approach, as describe in
a comment on the above issue:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-539?focusedCommentId=12928832&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel
#action_12928832

I'm interested in comments.