Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Nord, James" <JN...@nds.com> on 2011/05/05 00:09:17 UTC

central repo?

Hi all,

What happened recently to the central repos and their mirrors (uk).

When I try to browse I now get redirected to search.maven.org which is not a good thing when trying to work out why something isn't working as expected when proxied via a repo manager.

Also I guess these searches run of the index - but as far as I have always been led to believe the indexes are correct on Sunday only, and don't help when the metadata is incorrect.

How can I get back to the old bog standard directory listings produced by the web server?

/james

________________________________

This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the postmaster@nds.com and delete it from your system as well as any copies. The content of e-mails as well as traffic data may be monitored by NDS for employment and security purposes. To protect the environment please do not print this e-mail unless necessary.

NDS Limited. Registered Office: One London Road, Staines, Middlesex, TW18 4EX, United Kingdom. A company registered in England and Wales. Registered no. 3080780. VAT no. GB 603 8808 40-00

Re: central repo?

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@scalaris.com>.
Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i would appreciate the old state as well... +1 from me too...
>
> Just accessing http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/ to see what 's
> there without SEARCH engine...proxy checking etc.
>
> If i like to use it the behavior before was: Just use search.maven.org
> ...was perfect...

+1

- Jörg

Re: central repo?

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <ka...@soebes.de>.
Hi,

i would appreciate the old state as well... +1 from me too...

Just accessing http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/ to see what 's
there without SEARCH engine...proxy checking etc.

If i like to use it the behavior before was: Just use search.maven.org
...was perfect...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

-----
Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise
----
http://www.soebes.de
http://www.skmwiki.de
http://supose.org/wiki/supose

Re: central repo?

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.
+1 to this as well.

I was just trying to diagnose why a new artifact I released via
oss.sonatype.org wasn't appearing in central ( I'm sure it was last night ),
but not now - and now I just get this search engine which seems very
inconsistent in its redirect behaviour.

--
"Great artists are extremely selfish and arrogant things" — Steven Wilson,
Porcupine Tree

RE: central repo?

Posted by Jim McCaskey <ji...@pervasive.com>.

Re: central repo?

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Nord, James <JN...@nds.com> wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> I understand the reasons and I'm all for it - but there needs to be a way to easily diagnose issues for people that look after maven proxies (such as a corporate nexus instance) when there are issues with artifacts.  The old http directory listings enabled just that.

Yes, we'll figure out how to get this accomplished asap.

> Apart from the above I actually liked search.m.o and was impressed by its speed (seemed quicker than nexus when searching!).

Thanks. Fwiw, it's built using Solr and Lucene, so most of the credit
goes to those communities.

> OT: when you download an artifact from search.m.o does it give you your local mirror (uk in my case) or does it travel across the pond and download from repo1.m.o?

Currently no, but we didn't anticipate huge numbers of downloads
through the search system.

Re: central repo?

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
The Browse Remote feature in Nexus still seems to work for central. If
Sonatype hasn't updated that recently it still looks at the actual content
of the remote repo.

/Anders

RE: central repo?

Re: central repo?

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
I just wanted to close the loop on this, http://search.maven.org is
now updated incrementally in lockstep with the contents of Central.

Re: central repo?

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

RE: central repo?

Re: central repo?

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:09 PM, Owen Jacobson
<ow...@grimoire.ca> wrote:
> Vastly appreciated. The current search page is pretty good from a usability point of view (other than the piss-poor URL structure) but lags too far behind the repository contents to be useful when, e.g., checking that new releases have been copied to central successfully before announcing them.
>
> Software I released to my own repo two days ago is in central, but still hasn't shown up in search.maven.org.

Yes, we're fixing that, so it should be updated and published
everytime central is updated.

Re: central repo?

Posted by Owen Jacobson <ow...@grimoire.ca>.

Re: central repo?