Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org> on 2019/07/19 15:45:21 UTC

Mapping our pipeline before looking for leaks

Hey all,

Niclas has made several points (open source as employment vs. volunteers,
the incubator) which relate to understanding our pipeline.

Our volunteer pipeline is little more complex than
contributor->committer->PMC

And it's likely that parts of that pipeline are in better shape than others.

To take one of many potential concrete examples: it's very likely true that
there are different obstacles to participation in open source for women as
part of their paid work for big tech companies (bias towards front-end work
perhaps), than there are for women who are doing open source as an
after-work hobby ("second shift" perhaps).

I'd like to see us map out our pipeline as a first step, before we start
hypothesizing what the problems might be, what questions we might want to
ask to narrow down our problems more precisely, and which areas we want to
focus on.

Waddaya think?

Best,
Myrle

Re: Mapping our pipeline before looking for leaks

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Hey Gris,

Actually it's probably easiest if I just show you what I mean.  There's no
need to hold up any other tasks for this.  Let me try to find a good visual
representation for putting my ideas "on paper" and I'll send it around for
feedback.

Best,
Myrle

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@apache.org>.