Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> on 2013/03/02 19:37:58 UTC

GSoC 2013: non-code projects on website, branding?

Quick sanity check: would it be worthwhile to explore having a non-code
project?  We often decry the lack of understandable or organized
technical documentation, especially on the apache.org site.  Similarly,
we could do a much better job simply clearly describing things for
branding, making fundraising look a little prettier, having an easier to
navigate events area, etc.

Should I try to find enough discrete tasks  here to submit a
documentation-type GSoC idea?  Or is that not likely to find any
students / going to be too much work to pull together?

I love the idea of offering a non-heavy-code project, and I will have a
little spare time over the summer (when I'm taking a 12 week leave of
absence from $dayjob).

Ideas? Anyone want to help?

- Shane

Re: GSoC 2013: non-code projects on website, branding?

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi Shane,

a big + 1 for what you want to accomplish, but I am afraid it might not qualify as a GSOC project. There was a discussion on gsoc mentor lists recently if CSS qualifies as a gsoc project. There were mixed opinions without concluding thoughts but it was clear documentation does not quality. GSOC seem to emphasize on the coding aspects [1].

Few options come to my mind though:
* HCI students may want to pick it as a good use case and deliver. It will be tough to motivate but if they can pick it up as a capstone project or get attracted to earn commitership in ASF they might.
* Free lance content strategists might be very interested to do this kind of a job in return for some visibility. I have come across few of them some time ago but blank at this minute to provide pointers.
* Similar to logo contest, may be we should post this as a task and cross fingers if it gets picked up.

Suresh

[1] - http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs#goals

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
I believe GCI will start after GSoC is over, which would be end of next month.

Uli

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carl Hall <ca...@gmail.com>.
If you need any other committers for GCI, put me down!

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.

[1] - https://developers.google.com/open-source/gci/2012/