Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Deacon Marcus <de...@wwtech.pl> on 2001/05/26 18:49:20 UTC

Town

Hi,
What exactly is this "Town" and why it's better than JDBC? Where can I find
more about it?

Thanks in advance,
     deacon Marcus

RE: Town

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
I'd be happy to see town ditched in favour of JDBC, if there was
comprehensive enough config.

put it this way, id like to set up seperate tables for each kind of
repository, and might like to be able to map real field
names onto the name of their contents, EG:
<jdbcrepository name="users" db="james" table="users">
<field fieldname="ident" contents="password">
<connection file="blah>"

Re: Town

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 5/29/01 7:21 PM, "Oki DZ" <ok...@bdg.pindad.com> wrote:

> IMHO, it would be great if James could be set like Tomcat; ie: column
> names on the tables can be reconfigured via an XML config file. I'd also
> like to attach "listeners" to the JDBC connection, so that on
> insert/update/delete on the tables I'd have a chance to do something. It
> would be great to be able to record the from/to addresses on a separate
> table, for example. Could be useful, on back-end servers that don't
> (yet) support triggers.
>
> Oki

Torque/Peer's are defined in a .xml file and Java code is generated to
manage the connections and communicate with the database.

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous

Re: Town

Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com>.

Re: Town

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.
Don Saxton wrote:

> town is an Object-Relational mapping which creates classes from "create
> Table" like statements and uses jdbc for connection. Here is their URL
> http://share.whichever.com/index.php?SCREEN=town
>
> > What exactly is this "Town" and why it's better than JDBC? Where can I
> find
> > more about it?

'Town' may well be replaced in the next release.
Either with straight JDBC or with the Torque/Peer OR tools from
jakarta-turbine.

Charles

Re: Town

Posted by Don Saxton <eu...@pacbell.net>.