Posted to dev@commonsrdf.apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/11 21:31:26 UTC

[VOTE] CommonsRDF Website Format

Hi Folks,
Based on Geoffrey Core's request on INFRA-9260 [0], I would like to open an
VOTE for the  website build layout. The VOTE will be open for at least 72
hours.

Options are

 0 svnpubsub
 1 CMS (default-Perl-build)
 2 CMS (Maven-build)
 3 CMS (Ant-build)
 4 CMS (Shell-build)

[ ] +1 I VOTE for option ${insert option here}
[ ] +/-0 I don't care either way but would rather see ${insert option here}
[ ] -1 I hate them all and I am not having a good day

Thanks
Lewis

*Lewis*

Re: CommonsRDF Website Format

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 12:57 PM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Great - I added some basic package-info.java files.

Cool!

> I had to massage the mycila license-plugin as the /* style license
> header in package-info.java was not recognized - it seems very picky -
> is ther any reason to keep both this and the rat plugin? (Raised as
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMMONSRDF-18 )

Already fixed.

I tried to deploy using mvn site-deploy. I got these errors:

> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-scm-publish-plugin:1.1:publish-scm
> (scm-publish) on project commons-rdf-api: Failed to check-in files to
> SCM: The svn command failed. svn: E155011: Commit failed (details
> follow):
> [ERROR] svn: E155011: Directory
>
> '/home/stain/src/commons-rdf/api/target/site-content/apidocs/org/apache/commons/rdf/simple'
> is out of date
> [ERROR] svn: E170004: Item
>
> '/websites/production/commonsrdf/content/apidocs/org/apache/commons/rdf/simple'
> is out of date

Well, as I commented on COMMONSRDF-9, I have issues with that workflow, and
I had to manually commit the built site. Let's discuss the details there.

Cheers,

--
Sergio Fernández
Partner Technology Manager

Re: CommonsRDF Website Format

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Great - I added some basic package-info.java files.

I didn't do it as a pull request as these didn't exist/work - feel
free to tweak further!

[...]

.. probably because someone else deployed something somewhere while
the build was running?
(can't wait for that gitpub2pubsublub without svn..)

So I try again, getting:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-scm-publish-plugin:1.1:publish-scm
(scm-publish) on project commons-rdf-api: Failed to delete files from
SCM: The svn command failed. svn: E200005: Use --force to override
this restriction (local modifications may be lost)
[ERROR] svn: E200005:
'/home/stain/src/commons-rdf/api/target/site-content/source-repository.html.mine'
is not under version control

so it turns you  have to do a few repeated runs of

    mvn clean site-deploy

as random SVN files are spread about the file system.

This seems to work, except it deleted everything except the simple/
javadocs! Sorry!

-- is it because simple is the last module built?

I fixed this manually with  svn co and cp from target/site

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: CommonsRDF Website Format

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 1:47 AM, Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Content online at: http://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/ :-)

Nice start for this site! :-)

The first thing I wanted to do though is browse the Javadocs, which is not
there.

Please see any recent Apache Commons site and POM for what most Commons
project sites looks like, in particular the project reports section which
include Javdocs, for example:
http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-lang/project-reports.html

Thank you,
Gary

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Now working thanks to infra.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 01/04/15 05:53, Sergio Fernández wrote:
> I think after a week it's time to ping back infra about this, isn't it?

Yes.

 From what I can tell it's not there (rather than a config problem

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
any update on this?

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello,

> Well, I guess here we are bound to whatever Commons PMC decides to this
> respect.
>
> The introduction of gitpubsub is definitely great news, since many
> projects are currently using svn just for their sites.
>
> But I think (I hope) a pure Maven site would be supported in the new
> infrastructure, so we could keep what we already have.

We have some documentation about site publication on our website [1]. For
simple components you only have to call mvn site-deploy and it will do the
trick. I've heard from people that multi-module projects are some how more
tricky to setup with commons parent pom, but I'll have to look into that
tomorrow (I haven't worked on any of our multi-module projects so far).

Benedikt

[1] http://commons.apache.org/site-publish.html

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/

Re: CommonsRDF Website Format

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 1:33 PM Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Well, I guess here we are bound to whatever Commons PMC decides to this
> respect.
>
> The introduction of gitpubsub is definitely great news, since many
> projects are currently using svn just for their sites.

> But I think (I hope) a pure Maven site would be supported in the new
> infrastructure, so we could keep what we already have.

That's basically what gitpubsub is supposed to be.  The difference is that
to publish to the website, we need to push to a repo.  We can probably
start tinkering with the idea of publishing the website based on pushes to
our git repo, but I think the intention is that we could use site-deploy to
push to a git repo, and then boom, the site's live.

If we think we want to try that route, I can get the ball rolling and
request the infra resources required to allow us to push that way.

John

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
And then:

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
On 25/03/15 14:26, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> Done ::
>
> -----------------
> Submitted request
>
> {
>    "version": 2,
>    "source": "/incubator/commonsrdf/site/",
>    "project": "commonsrdf",
>    "backend": "cms",
>    "message": "Project discussion:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-commonsrdf-dev/201503.mbox/%3C550C5DA6.7060205%40apache.org%3E",
>
>    "build": "maven"
> }
> -----------------

Cool!

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 03/25/15 13:19, Sergio Fernández wrote:
> Sorry, I think we have two threads open about this, and I replied the
> less important one.
>
> Well, source site draft is at the expected location, so please move
> ahead requesting the cms build.
>
> On 21/03/15 21:35, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>> On 20/03/15 17:49, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>>> Hoping we can wrap this up:
>>>
>>> CMS/Maven seems to be the preferred so I'll ask for that, in at least 24
>>> hours time.
>>>
>>> (Note - we didn't clear up the XML config file sub-thread so if you see
>>> that as an issue to check first, please say so)
>>>
>>>      Andy
>>
>> Slight hiccup. The webreq process requires there to be
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/commonsrdf/site/trunk/pom.xml
>> in place for the request to be received.
>>
>> Currently /commonsrdf/site/ exists but no more.
>>
>>      Andy

Done ::

-----------------
Submitted request

{

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Hoping we can wrap this up:

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Moving this onwards:

Re: [VOTE] CommonsRDF Website Format

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> +1 for the Maven approach, it was straightforward for me to try when
> attempting to modify a Commons webpage, I like that you can just build it
> locally, and unlike stuff like Jekyll or the default perl CMS, no strange
> system libraries to install.
>
> Gary, how would we fit into Commons website-wise while incubating? Could we
> still use the same system, but publish to  commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org
> ?

Good question! I know you can override a bunch of settings in your POM but
I am not sure about publishing the site to a different host.

You can at least build the whole site with Maven.

Gary

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.